Trench Drain Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrainWhisperer View Post
    Poured concrete drains are good, especially when you need to control depth. Since it's essentially a frame (stainless in this case, I assume?) embedded into the concrete, it holds tight and for a long time. And, since it's made from concrete it will expand/contract at the same rate as the rest of the floor. You won't get the buckling people see with plastic systems like Dura Slope.
    Depending on how you do it, though, you're not getting the same chemical tolerance as polymer concrete modular systems (ABT, Polycast). Polymer concrete drains have a resin mixed in to boost chemical resistance, and you don't get that with a former system. Unless you special mix the cement, that is.
    Thanks for the info Hannah. Is there a sealer or coating that would enhance the chemical resistance. I assume you need to seal them regardless. Thanks

Comment

I am looking pretty hard at this:
      http://www.trenchdrain.net/food_processing.html

Looks like some pretty good stuff and they seem to understand what we need.
      Mike Eme
      Brewmaster

Comment

Any issues with these drains? Breweries are listed as one of the uses.

Comment

My guess is that they are not rated for anything above 180f and more than like have NO slope/grade built into them.

We have 40 ft of something similar and they are a nightmare...... almost useless for anything thicker than water.
          Last edited by Sauce; 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitewall View Post
            Thanks for the info Hannah. Is there a sealer or coating that would enhance the chemical resistance. I assume you need to seal them regardless. Thanks
            At that point you should just use what you're coating the rest of the floor with. I hear a lot about urethane floor coating, so that could be the place to start. This page has a pretty good explanation of urethane vs polyurethane: http://primecoat.com/faqs-urethane-f...-floor-finish/
            Trench Drain Systems
            sales@trenchdrainsystems.com
            TrenchDrainSystems.com
            610-638-1221

Comment

It looks a fairly solid construction, but the description doesn't offer many technical details. You want to ask yourself a few questions before buying:
              • Is it pre-sloped? With a 40' run, you should have some slope to the system
              • Do the grates have enough open area? Is there a data sheet on GPM flow?
              • Does it come with a strainer, or will you have to fab one?
              • How deep is the drain? Will it interrupt any existing plumbing?
              Trench Drain Systems
              sales@trenchdrainsystems.com
              TrenchDrainSystems.com
              610-638-1221

Comment

Originally posted by JDN View Post
                Where are you seeing stainless trenches for $120 per foot? Zurn has their stainless at $359!

Anybody used Fiber Reinforced Polymer/Vinylester trenches?

Appears to have good chemical and temp resistance and with the right grates is rated for forklift traffic. I had never heard of it before, so looking for any experiences good or bad. Comes in around $159 per foot with acid resistant forklift rated ductile grates.
                For what it's worth (may be too late for you?) - I just found this V-bottom drain from stainlessdrains.com that is comparable to the Zurn Z890 profile, but is actually thicker 14 gauge 304 stainless (vs. 16 gauge for the Zurn) with a 10 gauge grate for only $158 per foot, grate included. Built to size you need, I'm ordering a couple (10' and 8') for the two drains in the small brewery we are building in San Francisco.

V-bottom trench drains can be customized at Stainless Drains for applications that require improved hydraulic flow. Request a quote today at Stainless Drains.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by JDN View Post
                  Where are you seeing stainless trenches for $120 per foot? Zurn has their stainless at $359!

Anybody used Fiber Reinforced Polymer/Vinylester trenches?

Appears to have good chemical and temp resistance and with the right grates is rated for forklift traffic. I had never heard of it before, so looking for any experiences good or bad. Comes in around $159 per foot with acid resistant forklift rated ductile grates.
                  I just had 85' of those installed. New to us but the BIG downstate breweries use them and seemed to like them. So far so good they drain quickly and all is well
                  Mike Eme
                  Brewmaster

Comment

Handles high temperature, no break-down, forklift friendly, TRY THIS

Fiberglass doesn't handle temperature over 140 degrees. If you don't want your drain break down when hot liquid washed down, you may go with stainless steel.

Try this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pririe Pride Brewing Finished Floor 02.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	191010

http://www.slotdrainsystems.com/breweries/
                    Slot DrainĀ® is a one-piece, built-in sloped, open floor drain/surface drain system

info@slotdrainsystems.com
                    https://www.slotdrainsystems.com/breweries
                    (855) 497-7508

Comment

Trench Drains

In regards to trench drains for breweries. A few considerations.

1) Material- stainless steel grates with an hdpe pre sloped channel are suitable for most applications
                      2) Weight load for forklifts
                      3) Material should be suitable for caustic chemicals and high heat

The swiftdrain 600 is a good option. 6" wide, hdpe channel with stainless steel grates. The materials are non reactive to high heat tempratures and they are inert to caustic chemicals.

Pre sloped from 4" - 28" including catch basin.

Swiftdrain 600 All purpose trench drain system. Best in class for serious drainage needs.

Comment

Wth?

Why would anyone pour 180F waste down the drain? This is not only wasted energy, but also very hard on floors & trenches as some of you have found out. I've never had a problem with ACO drains, but I don't dump needlessly hot waste. If I have a hot kettle, I'll rinse what hops I can't shovel and then use that residual heat for CIP. Think that instead of getting drains to stand up to boiling water, better to shift focus to how you do business. Don't waste heat!
                        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                        X