Slight soap aroma/flavor with WLP530 yeast in hoppy beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight soap aroma/flavor with WLP530 yeast in hoppy beers

We made a smashingly wonderful beer recently called Sinistra. It is a belgian SIPA with Citra and Eldorado hops. The yeast is WLP530 Abbey ale. The first batch of this was fantastically fruity and subtly bitter. I couldn't stop drinking it. We're on our second batch now and I've noticed a slightly soapy, aroma and flavor that's very subtle and was not present at all in the first batch. The only other time I've ever used this yeast in a hoppy beer was a Belgian Pale Ale that was all Hallertau Middlefru (sp?) and saaz. It too had a very slight soapy flavor which I attributed to the hops since it's very aggressively noble hopped.

The aroma and flavor faded a little with time, but I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this? Or suggestions as to what it might be? I'm confident it wasn't anything obviously wrong in our production process. I'm more concerned it's a hop-induced stress phenol/ester produced by this specific strain. If anyone has experience with Belgian yeast that plays well with hops, I'm all ears as I will be experimenting on the next batch with the same recipe and just changing the yeast to see what happens.
Working...
X