Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have The Tools & Are Curios To Brew In China? (Need A Sense Of Adventure To Apply!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have The Tools & Are Curios To Brew In China? (Need A Sense Of Adventure To Apply!)

We are searching for a brewer again as of 19th August. The brewer we agreed terms with unfortunately fell ill and can no longer come. The position is open IMMEDIATELY. We have now got our bottling line running well and looking to take on more accounts.

Welcome,

If you’re reading this then you could be the one to join us in our quest to take our craft beer China-wide…
    • So you have a sense of adventure eh?
    • Like the idea of brewing beer in China too?
    • Do you have a passion for craft beer and want to reach a new and thirsty audience?

We are The Bad Monkey Brewery and from the inception of the brewery in 2010 when we invested in a 300L kit to see if craft beer was possible and if there was a demand for what we brewed…To today where we now have a 3000L brewery and 6 x 6000L FV’s.

So we pretty much figured out there is a huge demand for craft beer here in China and now we want to supply this new and thirsty audience and we need your help.

The craft brewery scene is starting to really take off in China and there is a small group (but growing) of expat brewers passionate about bringing high quality brews to the biggest beer market in the world. If you want to join us then you’re welcome because we need all the help we can get.

Unlike many other countries where the small breweries are in competition, here in China (which is a massive country…seriously) we try and help each other out where we can because we feel like we are small band of brothers trying to bring about a beer revolution!

The History

Bad Monkey was originally a bar in the town of Dali in Yunnan, China. The owners are Carl and Scott are from the UK. They went on a trip to California and discovered the amazing beer scene over there and with their eyes opened wanted to bring back that beer culture to their bar in China…so they invested in some brewing kit and got to work.

The brewery went live in 2010 and they knew they were on to a good thing. People loved their beer and word started to spread that in the town of Dali you could get a decent pint of craft beer. Word spread further and further and over time bar owners China-wide were asking to stock their beer.

Carl and Scott in 2013 decided to bite the bullet and go big…real BIG! They decided they needed to start bottling their beer. They needed a plan…when the plan came together they thought “Damn, this thing is a beast...What have we done!”

What they had done was decide to increase by 10x the size and buy a bottling line and pasteurize their beer so they could sell it China-wide…meet the demand of the people phoning them every day asking about stocking their beer.

Jump Forward To Today

Bad Monkey now have a 3000L brewery and 6 x 6000L FV’s, a bottling line and pasteurize their beer. It was hard work, but their dedication and sheer determination saw it through. The brewery is based in Baofeng, Yunnan. They need another brewer to join them and myself their head brewer supply their demand.

It Is Going To Be Hard Work…Be Warned!

Yes our project is exciting and we are at the forefront of the craft brewing scene in China but to supply the demand is going to take hard work.

Plus you will need a sense of adventure because currently I (the brewer) am the only foreigner in the town of Baofeng. Which is a working town in the Yunnan province. We are an hour away the province capital Kunming which is the Chinese South Eastern Gateway to the rest of Asia.

So if you have dreamed of visiting the likes of Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia then they are a short plane ride away. So weekends away and holidays a pretty easy to plan (and cheap too).

The brewery is in Baofeng whilst Carl, Scott and the team are mostly based out of Dali 5 hours away) coordinating the marketing and logistics for our rather large goals. This is a team effort we are the Bad Monkey Family, (I know it kinda sounds touchy feely) we are very much together though to reach a common goal of taking Bad Monkey beer to the whole of China.

Are You Ready To Join Us?

We are looking for brewer with the following credentials (we will though consider all applicants):
    • Minimum of two years’ experience in commercial brewing
    • Knowledge of bottling and packaging
    • Understanding of fermentation management / record keeping
    • Knowledge of filtration and beer stability
    • Willing to work weekend and late hours if needed
    • Able to lift 25Kg to head height and 50Kg to waist height
    • Believes cleaning and sanitization are integral to running a brewery
    • Don't need to speak Chinese to apply (but if you can it would help!)

As head brewer I’m not looking for an assistant but a brewer to be involved in the overall running of the brewery. I want someone to speak up if he/she thinks the brewery and overall operation can be improved. I am not looking to tell a brewer what to do on a day-to-day basis but someone who has innovative ideas and can work independently and help the Team Monkey reach it goals.

This new phase of Bad Monkey is exciting but we expect setbacks and challenges on the way. We need a strong individual who is willing to work in a foreign environment (the locals don’t get to see many foreigners), has a strong work ethic (it took a lot of effort to get this far) and is ready for a wild ride (we want to be big).

If you are that person then we need to hear from you...

How This Will Work

We are looking for someone to join us around September of this year. We know it will take a while for us to find the right person plus for them to move to China and for us to have you get the correct paperwork together will require a little time.

We also know you may be employed elsewhere at the moment and want to do the right thing and give a decent amount of notice before joining us…we are willing to wait for the right person (but not for too long!).

The Process

You will go through me the head brewer (actually only brewer) first so we can chat and then will move on to speaking to Carl and Scott if you still want to head out here after talking to me. I know you will likely have a bunch of questions about the brewery and China and depending how they are answered will either still be interested or not. Living and brewing in China isn’t for everyone.

Compensation

We have a large house in Baofeng so accommodation is taken care of. If you want to have your own space then we will help you find suitable accommodation. There is a canteen at the brewery serving Chinese food (3 meals a day) which you don’t have to pay for.

We will pay for your expenses to come out here too of course. Wage will be dependent on experience but be aware that the cost of living is lower here so don’t expect a wage that is comparable to the West. However we will offer you a salary that we allow you to have a decent lifestyle out here.

I earn less than I would as a brewer in the UK but can offer my family a better life as I my income goes further than it would ever in the UK.
    I first started working for the Bad Monkey back in 2012, loved it out here and now have a Chinese wife (met her in the Bad Monkey bar as it happens) and we now have an 22 month old daughter and happy out here.

If you want to join us then please email me at: neil (at) badmonkeybars (dot) com

Please send a cover letter (I’d like to know a little about you and why you like the idea of brewing in China) and resume and we can take it from there.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Neil

Our bottles:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-monkey.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	193803

Carl And Scott:

Name:	4632.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	193805

Bad Monkey Bar:

Name:	1-13062109552Q15.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	193804
    Last edited by Neil Playfoot; 08-19-2015, 05:29 AM. Reason: Brewer could not come

Oh and one more thing....

Just wanted to add that if you have some initial questions about the position if you email me then I will do my best to answer the questions in a timely manner...

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Wages And Cost Of Living

First off thanks to the people who have contacted me already...

Many were asking how much we were willing to pay. Well your outgoings if you would like to work with us would be minimal, if you wanted to live in the shared house we have in Baofeng. The house has seven rooms and currently three of us living there. We have a pool table and of course access to free beer.

There is a canteen at the brewery and you could eat there two times a day with the costs covered by Bad Monkey (it is Chinese food).

Here is a link to give you an idea of the cost of living in China:

Cost of living in China

In Yunnan where we are the cost of living is actually a little lower than listed on the page above. We are looking to pay around 6200 RMB (Chinese Yuan) per month (depending on experience), plus can talk about profit share too and are looking for someone to commit for a minimum of 18 months as there is a significant investment for us to fly you out here and sort out visas for you.

I know the wage doesn't sound much but you should be able to save over half your wage per month and use that to travel and discover SE Asia (think Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and so on pretty cheaply) as Kunming is just over and hour away and has an international airport. You'd probably spend around US$300 on flights for a round trip to Thailand for example.

Thanks

Neil
      Last edited by Neil Playfoot; 07-05-2015, 02:03 AM. Reason: change info

Comment

I am looking to speak to potential recruitments this weekend on Skype. So if anybody else is interested please send me an email at:

neil (at) badmonkeybars (dot) com

Thanks

Neil

Comment

My stuff

Originally posted by Neil Playfoot View Post
          I am looking to speak to potential recruitments this weekend on Skype. So if anybody else is interested please send me an email at:

neil (at) badmonkeybars (dot) com

Thanks

Neil
          Don't bother just sending my overalls, wait until you talk to Carl and I get all of my things back. Not going to pay to just get my overalls, then a jacket, then a iPhone, then 1 discx10 then a tshirt, then my rain jacket, ect...send all my things, ok

Comment

Thanks to those that applied

We have now found our brewer and want to say thanks to those who applied.

We will still accept resumes as we are looking to grow more in the future. Although we do not envisage employing another brewer until 2016.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Yes We Are Looking Again

As stated in the original post the brewer we agreed terms with can no longer come due to illness.

The position is open immediately and we are looking for someone with a sense of adventure but is not afraid of a little hard work. We are looking to move quickly and take advantage of the unique position we find our selves in with a good size craft brewery and a 17 head filler bottling line.

The right candidate will find him/herself in an ambitious company and will gain more responsibility as the company grows.

I'm ready and waiting to hear from you.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Working...
              X