Canned microbrew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biocides

There is another issue with cans that has to do with the biocides employed in their manufacture. The manufacturing process needs oils for lubrication and the oils host microbes so biocides are employed. The early biocides were formaldehyde based and left such a taste that people complained that their beer had changed when a more flavor neutral biocide was introduced. I can't remember which brewery this was but by popular demand they had to put formaldehyde back in the mix. I don't know what is going on now but I'd do some research before considering cans. Also, what is the overall environmental cost of the cans? They are very very energy and water intensive to make starting from the ore mining through to final production.

Comment

Psst

Not hearing that psst is actually a bad thing. Not a good thing.
      The psst is the sound of CO2 escaping, not air. What you are drinking is a flat beer and,most likely, its not aluminum you are tasting.
      Probable causes: beer flat to begin with, gas leakage from the can seam, inadequate undercover gassing which will result in "high air" and oxidized taste.

Comment

Cans are the future, they are light and easy to deal with for the consumer, and they are a great way to store the product.

We just started canning and I couldnt be happier. Sure we still bottle... I just really like the cans now...
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

psst is bad

If there's no headspace (this is good -- less air got into package at filling) there will be no "psst" because all the CO2 is still dissolved in the beer. To me, the less "psst" the fresher the beer probably is.

Comment

Several years ago, we were looking into canning. The price of the equipment was very attractive, but the minimums the can company had were outrageous (like $18,000 per label). Have the minimum orders of empty cans changed? Who are the main suppliers that craft/micros are using for their cans these days?

Prost!
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

The only company I have contacted in regards to new equipment is Cask
              Jamie Gordon at Cask was a pleasure to talk to about canning options.
              Here is a link to Cask's canning brochure. I could outfit myself with the manual two can filler/seamer equipment for $15,000 not including a few titillating options. The minimum run of logo printed (2 color) cans is + or - 150,000 cans or 20 pallets. Which comes in at around $20,000 when its all said and done. i attached a pdf with the cask can pricing.
              So for $35,000 I could be micro canning. Sure sounds cool to me. Oskar Blues has used it well. Now Fat Tire is on board. Cask has a growing list of clients. Not in the start up budget for us however ..... Maybe in a few years. I'm thinking that this canning line would be a great avenue for some motivated private investors that have shown great interest in our project. Ah the crystal ball it is fun to gaze into at times!
              Attached Files

Comment

I never got any aluminium flavor in any of the craft brews I have had from a can:

Surly's Furious
                Surly's Bender
                Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
                Oskar Blues Gordon
                Oskar Blues Old Chub
                Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

Which, from my standpoint makes me think that a lot of these ideas of aluminum in beer from the cans could be a psychological thing. Like when you're at a tasting and someone beside you says, "I get a hint of plum" and then you look for it and find it. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just seems like it's in your head.
                Pour the beer of life hard and suck the drops of overflowing head.

Comment

I prefer V-8 out of the can

Comment

Originally posted by brewbong
                    I prefer V-8 out of the can
                    Spicy V-8 with American Pale Ale.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Toxic Cans?

The New York Times reports today that the Canadian government is preparing to announce findings of toxicity in the chemical used to line the cans that we're putting our beer in. Could provide major disruption to the canned micro market? The announcement is expected this week, perhaps as soon as Wednesday.

Comment

I believe the "findings" you're referring to are nothing new. There has been conjecture that the polymers used in lining cans are toxic for a long time. The same polymers are used to make Nalgene water bottles. One of my partners owns an outdoor equipment company and used to sell Nalgene bottles from his catalogs. He told me that the plastics in Nalgene bottles are the same as the linings in cans and said that he's heard for years that those plastics will cause cancer, brain aneurysms, autism, warts, erectile dysfunction, restless leg syndrome, ear mites and poison ivy. That is, of course, only if you melt down the plastic into a syrupy mess and eat it with a plastic spoon from a styrofoam bowl.

I've noticed that a good Belgian geuze pairs very well with a bowl of melted Nalgene bottle. Especially if you include a nice, smokey edam cheese.

Cheers!
                        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                        Strangeways Brewing
                        2277-A Dabney Road
                        Richmond, VA 23230
                        804-303-4336
                        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by tsewong73

I've noticed that a good Belgian geuze pairs very well with a bowl of melted Nalgene bottle. Especially if you include a nice, smokey edam cheese.

Cheers!
                          So, should you use pita wedges or tortilla chips for dipping?
                          Cheers & I'm out!
                          David R. Pierce
                          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                          POB 343
                          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Well, for a real earthy flavor that cuts right through the mediciney, chemical aftertaste, you should try cow chips. Especially cow chips from cows that are eating your spent grain.

It's a flavor rainbow!
                            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                            Strangeways Brewing
                            2277-A Dabney Road
                            Richmond, VA 23230
                            804-303-4336
                            www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

All kidding aside...............pasteurization of the cans after they're filled...........think about it.

Tom

ECBC

Comment

spicy V8 and beer?

Hey David
                                were you serious about the spicy V8 and pale ale? I'm a bloody mary lover (v8 as well) and that sounds like it would be pretty sweet. Either that or I'm a bit gullable
                                Cheers
                                Jay Stoyanoff
                                Brewmaster
                                Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                                Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Working...
                                X