Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Manager Wanted For Fast Growing Regional Cidery

Cider Master (Production Manager)

What happens when you have the idea for a truly differentiated hard cider? A hard cider that makes beer nerds order cider between his or her coffee stout and imperial IPA. One that makes a brewmaster reconsider what he or she knows about fermentation. One that turns a Bud Light drinker into a lover of craft beverages because his love of craft started with our brand. I'll tell you what happens, by any means necessary; you learn how to make it. It doesn't matter how much you know about fermentation, large scale production, or quality assurance; you read a few books and learn how to make it because in your heart you know it's possible. After that, you sell that cider. Then you buy more and more equipment to make more and more cider and hire a few people to help you. Then, one day, you wake and realize, "I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I'm wayyyy out of my league. This has happened so fast I didn't have the opportunity to learn how to do things properly but, our cider is loved by so many people and we are growing so fast we must be doing something right... right?" After this, you think, "I need help with this. Everything else in the business in under control but, I want our production to be rock solid; after all, we are a hard cider company." Then, you write what you hope this person will do... it goes a little something like this...

We need a production manager... or is it a cider master... I don't know. Ideally, this person will help the cofounders sleep at night. First, he or she will come in and quickly earn the respect of the existing employees by respecting the work they've done to date. Then he or she effectively communicates what changes need to be made (without compromising our cider) in order of importance. Then, this person will begin to carefully retrain everyone who works in the production of the cider. Breaking bad habit one by one and build them up from the ground. Training them to do everything purposefully and efficiently. He or she will establish quality control measures and best practices. He or she will turn the company's weak point into a strength and, in turn, allow our company to become a well-known, household brand.

Job Responsibilities:

Oversee all cider making operations: Within Direct Report group, lead the team management responsibilities (includes, staffing decisions, awards/disciplinary actions, performance management, training and safety) to achieve production goals.

Cider Making Operations

o With Management Team, develop and implement long & short term planning goals. Collaborate on all production activities and create schedules to meet sales forecasts and demands.
    o Monitor and continuously improve brewing operations with regards to efficiency, cost reduction and profitability.
    o Standardize procedures and protocols and ensure they are being adhered to.
    o Develop and manage a progressive training program that is in line with Company objectives.
    o Maintain cider making areas to ensure operations comply with Company Quality, Sanitation and Safety standards.
    o Oversee the purchasing and negotiations for cider making materials, and packaged goods, as well as the inventory management of above and finished products.
    o Assess equipment purchases and major expenditures to maximize benefit
    o Guarantee a safe working environment for employees by maintaining the facility and equipment in an optimal working environment and enforces adherence to safe work practices.

Quality Control

o Overall goal is to produce the highest quality cider possible with regards to consistency and taste
    o Oversee the Company’s Quality program and practices
    o With the (lab technician) Quality Manager, develop and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods. Ensure compliance standards are consistently met or exceeded
    o Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to, improved upon where applicable and trained to for new hires/transfers

General Administration

o Work with Finance to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement
    o Identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement
    o Establish key metrics and then develop & implement plans to achieve production goals, always keeping profitability as a priority
    o Evaluate operating results throughout the brewery to ensure that cider growth objectives are being met and makes sure that key metrics are communicated to the team
    o Ensure team members have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
    o Support Company events (local or national) as required; assist Sales Force as needed
    o Be a champion for the Company in the Cider brewing community

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:

o A strong understanding of process controls
    o Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team and maintain a positive morale in the workforce
    o An understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Control procedures
    o Knowledge of industry compliance standards: including but not limited to OSHA and safety standards, Government regulatory programs, and production management systems
    o Strong planning and organizational skills with emphasis on financial acumen
    o Microsoft Office Skills, particularly Excel spreadsheets

Thank you for your consideration.

Production Manager

Good evening Downeast Cider!

I'm replying in regards to your production manager position posted in Probrewer. I've been following Downeast for quite some time now since I'm a cider brewer myself and have considered starting my own cider business. I like the way your business has developed over the past few years and is much the way I feel a business should grow.

I'll give you some background on my past so you can see how we might be able to help each other out. I've worked as a production engineer for the past 20 years in electronic companies to bring new products to the market. Key responsibilities were to plan the production flow, implement Metrics to monitor volume and quality as well as increase the yield while minimizing waste. Data collection is key to providing a smooth consistent understanding of the throughput to maintain quality systems. Scheduling and planning were key to making on time deliveries as well as increasing capacity, managing workers and supplies.

One of the factors that I like about Downeast is that you own the orchards and have a constant supply of cider. As more businesses join the cider market, the demand for raw cider will increase to a point that all the available cider will be contracted out. This could put a lot of pressure on other businesses but having your own source allows you to predict if and when this would become a problem.

Quality: The companies I've worked for have always demanded the highest level of quality and great quality systems for measuring the processes so they could be kept under control. I started with Hewlett Packard which has world class Total Quality Management systems and some of the best designed test equipment in the world. From there I went to Analog Devices working in MEMS accelerometers which are used in most of the automotive safety airbag systems in the country. There's not much room for error there so it was critical to keep the production line and process under close scrutiny. I currently work for another automotive company Autoliv which manufactures automotive radar crash avoidance systems for Mercedes, Honda, GM and Nissan. All of these activities have a very high need for quality control since it's so important to having a consistent reliable product.

Here's a link to my linked in profile for further examination: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pub...public_profile

I would like to talk to you further about this position and maybe come in to look at your current facilities to see how I could help. I see from the Probrewer boards that you are relocating to a new site so this might be a great time to speak about volume and ramping production and what you might need to accomplish this. I'm interested in the position because I'm basically a bit tired of the automotive world and love to think that brewing cider could be my new career. Building my own cider business would require a lot of infrastructure to be put into place as well as a lot of financing which you already have. I see my role to be optimizing production and keeping everything running smoothly as it grows.

Please consider my proposal, I think it would be beneficial for us both to at least talk about possibilities and could be very exciting.

Thank you for your consideration!

Mark Nelson
    sadge@comcast.net

Originally posted by DowneastCider View Post
    Cider Master (Production Manager)

What happens when you have the idea for a truly differentiated hard cider? A hard cider that makes beer nerds order cider between his or her coffee stout and imperial IPA. One that makes a brewmaster reconsider what he or she knows about fermentation. One that turns a Bud Light drinker into a lover of craft beverages because his love of craft started with our brand. I'll tell you what happens, by any means necessary; you learn how to make it. It doesn't matter how much you know about fermentation, large scale production, or quality assurance; you read a few books and learn how to make it because in your heart you know it's possible. After that, you sell that cider. Then you buy more and more equipment to make more and more cider and hire a few people to help you. Then, one day, you wake and realize, "I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I'm wayyyy out of my league. This has happened so fast I didn't have the opportunity to learn how to do things properly but, our cider is loved by so many people and we are growing so fast we must be doing something right... right?" After this, you think, "I need help with this. Everything else in the business in under control but, I want our production to be rock solid; after all, we are a hard cider company." Then, you write what you hope this person will do... it goes a little something like this...

We need a production manager... or is it a cider master... I don't know. Ideally, this person will help the cofounders sleep at night. First, he or she will come in and quickly earn the respect of the existing employees by respecting the work they've done to date. Then he or she effectively communicates what changes need to be made (without compromising our cider) in order of importance. Then, this person will begin to carefully retrain everyone who works in the production of the cider. Breaking bad habit one by one and build them up from the ground. Training them to do everything purposefully and efficiently. He or she will establish quality control measures and best practices. He or she will turn the company's weak point into a strength and, in turn, allow our company to become a well-known, household brand.

Job Responsibilities:

Oversee all cider making operations: Within Direct Report group, lead the team management responsibilities (includes, staffing decisions, awards/disciplinary actions, performance management, training and safety) to achieve production goals.

Cider Making Operations

o With Management Team, develop and implement long & short term planning goals. Collaborate on all production activities and create schedules to meet sales forecasts and demands.
    o Monitor and continuously improve brewing operations with regards to efficiency, cost reduction and profitability.
    o Standardize procedures and protocols and ensure they are being adhered to.
    o Develop and manage a progressive training program that is in line with Company objectives.
    o Maintain cider making areas to ensure operations comply with Company Quality, Sanitation and Safety standards.
    o Oversee the purchasing and negotiations for cider making materials, and packaged goods, as well as the inventory management of above and finished products.
    o Assess equipment purchases and major expenditures to maximize benefit
    o Guarantee a safe working environment for employees by maintaining the facility and equipment in an optimal working environment and enforces adherence to safe work practices.

Quality Control

o Overall goal is to produce the highest quality cider possible with regards to consistency and taste
    o Oversee the Company’s Quality program and practices
    o With the (lab technician) Quality Manager, develop and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods. Ensure compliance standards are consistently met or exceeded
    o Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to, improved upon where applicable and trained to for new hires/transfers

General Administration

o Work with Finance to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement
    o Identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement
    o Establish key metrics and then develop & implement plans to achieve production goals, always keeping profitability as a priority
    o Evaluate operating results throughout the brewery to ensure that cider growth objectives are being met and makes sure that key metrics are communicated to the team
    o Ensure team members have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
    o Support Company events (local or national) as required; assist Sales Force as needed
    o Be a champion for the Company in the Cider brewing community

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:

o A strong understanding of process controls
    o Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team and maintain a positive morale in the workforce
    o An understanding of Laboratory Operations / Quality Control procedures
    o Knowledge of industry compliance standards: including but not limited to OSHA and safety standards, Government regulatory programs, and production management systems
    o Strong planning and organizational skills with emphasis on financial acumen
    o Microsoft Office Skills, particularly Excel spreadsheets

Thank you for your consideration.

Comment

Working...
    X