Distributors signing Breweries before they open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributors signing Breweries before they open

Out of curiosity what do you think of the trend of Distributors signing Breweries before they've opened or even brewed.
    This seems like a bad move for breweries and distributors alike .

Is it just another sign of the gold rush mentality / beer bubble?
    :::::::::::::::::
    Kevin Erskine
    Founder
    Coelacanth Brewing Company
    Norfolk, VA

It is called brand management. Take them out of market.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
      It is called brand management. Take them out of market.
      I think it could be a good thing in some cases. The distributors understand the market better, and can help the brewers with styles or brands that fill a niche in the market, rather than just another me-too beer. I think it is more of a risk for the brewer than the distributor, though. If you have the option to do some self-distribution after starting up, you are in a much better bargaining position when you do sit down with a distributor.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

It has been my experience some distributors will put you under contract not to promote and sell your products but to control where your beers are sold and, more importantly, where they aren't sold. If they are "distributing" your beers, they don't need to compete against your brands in the marketplace, fighting for limited tap and shelf space. They just don't push and place them: easy peasy lemon squeezey!
        BEFOREHAND you sign, check into how difficult your state laws have made it to cancel a distributor's contract. You might be very surprised. If they want to sign you before you've even made anything, beware. Sounds like they want to tie you up.
        Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I agree with the comments.

There are 2 other breweries that are expected to open around the same time we are - both of those Breweries have signed with the same distributor - who is by all accounts a fine distributor. However This is new to me - signing before opening.
          I had expected to (as you suggested) focus on in store sales, and (hopefully) build a following.

I just didn't think it was becoming the norm to sign before brewing had commenced (or equipment was even installed).

In may state, distributors hold the cards...and "own" you until they release you or sell you...
          :::::::::::::::::
          Kevin Erskine
          Founder
          Coelacanth Brewing Company
          Norfolk, VA

Comment

Interesting none of you mentioned anything about price for rights. I know one brewery in Virginia who collected six figures for their rights before producing a drop.

Comment

Just another voice. We chose to self-distribute at the start for a variety of reasons. We were quite happy that it quickly became a LARGE part of our day to keep up with accounts, so we hired a distributor much sooner than we had planned to. Because we were able to bring them a book of business, and sales and turn rate data on our existing accounts I was in a position to negotiate a better deal than anyone I've talked to who is even close to our size.

AND, self-distributing allowed us easy face time with our customers when we were interviewing distributors. Since they knew us and trusted us our customers were very candid and actually steered us away from one distro who was in the running.

My poor truck sure got some miles on it, but it was worth it.
              Chief Fermentation Officer
              Oregon Mead & Cider Co.

Comment

BrooksCooper is right on. If your state allows self-distribution, it's the best way to get started. You can build your brand in a sustainable manner, you'll get loyal accounts that will stay with you for years, and when it comes time to hand it over to a distributor to grow it even more, you'll be in a good bargaining position. You can negotiate things such as payment terms, co-oping of certain promotional expenses, etc. Remember cash flow is king when you are starting out. Not only will a distributor take 25-30% of the margin, but payment terms will often stretch to 30 days if you can't negotiate.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

it seems gold push people

Comment

Working...
                  X