Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) as Anti-Foam in Kettle

Good Day!

We have a 60bbl brewhouse, and are looking for some advice on addressing our Kettle foaming issues. Have any of you fine folks used, or know someone who has used EVOO as an anti-foam agent? We are an organic brewery, and so EVOO was suggested as something to look into.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Thaila Riden
    Beaus All Natural Brewing

It has been suggested as a yeast nutrient, providing lipids for cell growth. However this is in very small amounts and I would be worried the amount needed to knock down kettle foam would leave some in the beer post fermentation if it wasn't used up by the yeast. The drawbacks there are obvious.
    Interesting thought though and I too would like to read some hard data on this.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
      It has been suggested as a yeast nutrient, providing lipids for cell growth. However this is in very small amounts and I would be worried the amount needed to knock down kettle foam would leave some in the beer post fermentation if it wasn't used up by the yeast. The drawbacks there are obvious.
      Interesting thought though and I too would like to read some hard data on this.
      Definitely Ted, leftover oil would be a big problem. I was informed that it would be similar to using Patco 376, which is a vegetable oil based anti-foam, and it had a dose concentration of 0.5oz/bbl for the Kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaila View Post
        Definitely Ted, leftover oil would be a big problem. I was informed that it would be similar to using Patco 376, which is a vegetable oil based anti-foam, and it had a dose concentration of 0.5oz/bbl for the Kettle.
        I use Patcote and was told by Dana at Birko that I could use less than .5oz per barrel. I typically use 2oz in a 10bbl brew, in all but a few cases that is sufficient. For example; my porter tends to foam more in the kettle, as do higher gravity beers, and I might go as high as 4oz in the kettle for the worst offenders.

Comment

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
          I use Patcote and was told by Dana at Birko that I could use less than .5oz per barrel. I typically use 2oz in a 10bbl brew, in all but a few cases that is sufficient. For example; my porter tends to foam more in the kettle, as do higher gravity beers, and I might go as high as 4oz in the kettle for the worst offenders.
          Appreciate the feedback Wailing. Dana was the one I was speaking with too, and told me about the EVOO.

Cheers!

Comment

Wailingguitar, did you have any issues with residual oil left over after fermentation?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaila View Post
              Wailingguitar, did you have any issues with residual oil left over after fermentation?
              None whatsoever! I even use it for a fermenter antifoam on beers like my Porter that tens to blow off pretty hard. For fermenter anti foam you put it in the kettle during or immediately after whirlpool. It keeps the tank from blowing foam out during ferment, keeping brewery mess down. I have no issues at all with head retention or anything that you would relate to the presence of oils. It really is amazing stuff

Comment

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
                None whatsoever! I even use it for a fermenter antifoam on beers like my Porter that tens to blow off pretty hard. For fermenter anti foam you put it in the kettle during or immediately after whirlpool. It keeps the tank from blowing foam out during ferment, keeping brewery mess down. I have no issues at all with head retention or anything that you would relate to the presence of oils. It really is amazing stuff
                Great stuff. Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                X