Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Filtration / RO systems - what works best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filtration / RO systems - what works best?

Due to unforeseen circumstances the locations of our planned brewery has to move to a location that sits on a community well. With that said what type of RO / water filtration systems are you using with your brew house? I am looking to get some quotes and thought this would be a good place to start looking at what systems work best. The system will need will be for a 10bbl brewhouse and I am looking for a 15 - 20 gpm flow rate.

Originally posted by rwing7486 View Post
    Due to unforeseen circumstances the locations of our planned brewery has to move to a location that sits on a community well. With that said what type of RO / water filtration systems are you using with your brew house? I am looking to get some quotes and thought this would be a good place to start looking at what systems work best. The system will need will be for a 10bbl brewhouse and I am looking for a 15 - 20 gpm flow rate.
    A good place to start is at the beginning - meaning with an analysis of your water. From that we will know what contaminants need to be treated, and what equipment is appropriate. We'd also need to know some additional info about your water needs in addition to the gpm flow you mentioned above. We have an $80 water test that addresses 44 common contaminants and is typically what we use to start this process - at breweries and elsewhere.

Russ
    Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
    Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

We're using an Axeon CT-4000S from US Water Systems in our 20 bbl brewhouse. It does 4,000 gallons a day - expandable up to 7,000. Been in service for about 2 years now and we have very few problems with it.

RO systems are about 40% efficient, meaning you only get 2/5 of the water you put into it. And they like good, steady input pressure. Ours does about 2 gpm of permeate (the good filtered stuff) and puts out 3 gpm concentrate (the waste). That's a little more than 8 hours to fill our 1,000 gallon CLT. If we had better water pressure we could get that down to the manufacturer's claimed 6 hours. The complex has a 3/4" main and if anyone else is running their water our RO unit frequently runs into low pressure faults. If we flush the toilet the unit faults. These are not problems with the filter; our infrastructure can barely support it.

To run 15-20 gpm you will need a huge filter unit and water main. The filter will need to be spec'ed for 21,000 to 29,000 gallons a day. You'd have to supply it with 38-50 gpm. Not quite sure what size feed that works out to, but I suspect it's somewhere between 2 & 3 inches - just to the filter.

You're probably better off filtering into a holding tank. The Axeon system we got was quite affordable, though I don't remember the cost in 2012 dollars. That should serve a 10 bbl brewhouse well.
      --Dean Brundage
      Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
      Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
      (650) 823-3389

Comment

yes - I agree . An RO system that can produce 20 gpm (28,800 gpd) is overkill for a 10 bbl brewery. Hence the recommendation for an atmospheric holding tank. We can spec this all out for you, including adjusting for your water temperature, and spec'ing any needed prefiltration.

Russ
        Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
        Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
        X