Thermocoupler type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocoupler type

I am trying to figure out what kind of thermocoupler in need from the wiring on a used chiller I bought. it has 3 wires marked in order bottom to top in the picture. PTA, PTB, and PTC. and one have an idea?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	193914

Rtd?

Hi there,
    first are you certain that it is a thermocouple and not an RTD probe? The reason I ask is that a thermocouple measures temperature using two wire leads of dissimilar metals, thus it has only two contacts not 3. RTD's commonly have 3 contacts and measure temperature via resistance rather than thermoelectric effect like a thermocouple. RTD's are far more common but if you have the manual we can be sure, if not can you tell me the make and model?
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Luch15 View Post
      Hi there,
      first are you certain that it is a thermocouple and not an RTD probe? The reason I ask is that a thermocouple measures temperature using two wire leads of dissimilar metals, thus it has only two contacts not 3. RTD's commonly have 3 contacts and measure temperature via resistance rather than thermoelectric effect like a thermocouple. RTD's are far more common but if you have the manual we can be sure, if not can you tell me the make and model?
      I don't have the manual to it. could it be a PT100 probe? just thinking it is that due to the wire marked PTA-C.

Comment

Rtd

Yeah quite possibly so. PT100 is an RTD type probe. I have bought them from Automationdirect.com and they aren't very expensive, since you don't have the manual you might want to order a probe and give it a try.
        Luch Scremin
        Engine 15 Brewing Co.
        luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Luch15 View Post
          Yeah quite possibly so. PT100 is an RTD type probe. I have bought them from Automationdirect.com and they aren't very expensive, since you don't have the manual you might want to order a probe and give it a try.
          Is there one your recommend from them?

Comment

it depends on what your temp controller is set. In most controllers you have to set your sensor typ if its a J or K or a pt100 or other.
            If you set the wrong sensor in the controller you might burn your sensor this happend to me a few months back.
            Jonas Kohberger
            Director/Headbrewer/Owner
            Nevada Cerveceria
            Minca
            Colombia

Comment

Manufacturer

If you have a the model number and the manufacturer, I would just call the manufacturer directly, and as for tech support. I am sure they can point you in the right direction and would probably be happy to sell you one.

Comment

this is the in pdf for my temp controller on the glycol chiller
                YUDIAN are one of largest manufacturer of industrial PID Temperature controllers in China. We also provide multi-channel indicators, temperature transmitters, solid-state relays (SSR), paperless recorders, data loggers. power meters, and precision measuring instruments.

it says it can take a RDt pt100 but I am a little confused because the cut wire to the old probe had a ground wire. That is why I am on here.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
                  this is the in pdf for my temp controller on the glycol chiller
                  YUDIAN are one of largest manufacturer of industrial PID Temperature controllers in China. We also provide multi-channel indicators, temperature transmitters, solid-state relays (SSR), paperless recorders, data loggers. power meters, and precision measuring instruments.

it says it can take a RDt pt100 but I am a little confused because the cut wire to the old probe had a ground wire. That is why I am on here.
                  Type J and K are thermocouples not RTD. There is no ground connection on RTD. 2 wires go to one side of the sensor and 1 to the other. That is a little confusing, of course were assuming the cut wires were wired correctly in the first place. Let me read over the manual and see what makes sense.
                  Luch Scremin
                  Engine 15 Brewing Co.
                  luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Looks like it can take either thermocouples or a PT100 rtd. You'll have to put power to it and see what the input setting was set for. RTDs are more reliable especially for a longer distance.
                    Linus Hall
                    Yazoo Brewing
                    Nashville, TN
                    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
                    X