Brew Pub Brewhouse layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brew Pub Brewhouse layout

We are in the design/Build phase of a startup brewery/restaurant in Pennsylvania. We are installing a 7BBL pub-style system and are building a new brew-house that is attached to the 100yr old building for simplicity and efficiency. Here is the initial plan. The engineer/design team aren't brewery experts and our brewer has not yet been retained. Ideas?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brew House.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	193940

A couple quick thoughts - You will make your brewers life much easier if you can but a larger door into the grain room. Being able to move full pallets in and out makes a huge difference.
    In order to keep the brewery area nice and clean I would recommend adding a second trench drain in front of the brew kettles. You brewery will be a lot cleaner if all the trub and little bits of grain have a drain they can go into directly and not have to be squeegeed/hosed along the floor to a drain.
    Manuel

Comment

Not sure if you're only starting with the two BTs, but if you can swing it, since you're a brewpub, I'd suggest adding a couple more Brites (at least). I started with 4 FVs and 4 BTs to service our 8 taps and find I still spend a lot of time filling/cleaning/sanitizing/shuffling kegs. I am looking forward to getting a couple more Brites for our walk-in.

dave
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

I think we are going to add 2 more. I've been flip-flopping on kegs vs BT. Seems in the long run, the BTs are more efficient and less hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should put the cold room next to the pub so you can have shorter lines from the tanks or kegs to the taps.

I don't see a keg washer in this drawing and I don't see any space allocated to storage. Are you storing all of the grain in the grain room? Depending on the size of your mill, you're not going to be able to squeeze much more than a pallet in there (if you put in a bigger door, that is). Are you going to be able to get weekly grain delivery in your location, or do you need to stash a few pallets elsewhere? Where are your empty dirty and clean kegs going to get stacked?

Comment

And also: how are you going to get those bright tanks into the cold room? Are you planning to build the cold room around them? If so, you'll never be able to add more bright tanks unless you put in a door large enough to move them through.

Comment

Design #2

Thanks for all the suggestions. The brew-house footprint is pretty much defined by the property lines. I moved the lab/office into the main building and used that space for keg storage and increased space in the grain area. Click image for larger version

Name:	Brew House 2.JPG
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	190760
              Last edited by elsk707; 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Have you considered the location of the glycol chiller for the FVs? What's the heating system in the brewhouse? I'd assume electric or direct fire, otherwise you'll need space for a boiler too.

Comment

Good point: Can you put the glycol chiller on the roof of the building? That's the best spot for it, because of all the heat it puts out.

Comment

Glycol is definitely on roof. I forgot about the boiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brew House 2.JPG
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	190761
                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by elsk707; 09-27-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Where do you plan to mill the grain? Will you be using an auger? You should check with the local government regarding the placement of the boiler. They may require it be in a separate enclosure.

It is probably less expensive on a system that size to use direct fire and eliminate the boiler all together.

Comment

Originally posted by TiminOz View Post
                        Where do you plan to mill the grain? Will you be using an auger? You should check with the local government regarding the placement of the boiler. They may require it be in a separate enclosure.

It is probably less expensive on a system that size to use direct fire and eliminate the boiler all together.
                        Thanks for the feedback. The auger and mill will go in the grain handing room. There will be a ceiling mounted dust collection system and ventilation. The auger will run from there to the brew kit. Trying to fit steam into the budget so that's the plan, for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X