Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Floor Plan...

Hi,

I'm planning to open a 2 bbl nano in my downtown of my hometown city.

The space is tight but doable. Our proposed floor plans are attached. It has a large outdoor space with a yard and 12 spot parking lot. I'm concerned about being blindsided by unforeseen dimension issues.

The ceilings measure 9'3". Anyone see any show stopping issues with this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cannon-1-bath-ver.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	193949

Click image for larger version

Name:	cannon-cleaning-reno.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	193950

Just spitballing...
    Could you use just 1 coolroom (maybe increase its size) to service both bar areas? and do you definitely need 2 bathrooms upstairs? If not, you could shift the upstairs bathroom to the where the coolroom is now, and then set the bar area back into where the 2 bathrooms used to be. This would open up the floor area upstairs to allow for more/better seating layout.
    I also assume that the brewery equipment that is showing upstairs is a mistake and that it is only in the downstairs brewery area?

Also have you got provisions for food prep areas or an office so you can get paperwork done?
    Cheers
    Last edited by D2 Brewing; 10-22-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Do you need to have elevator to get people (in wheal chair) upstairs? ADA compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
        Do you need to have elevator to get people (in wheal chair) upstairs? ADA compliant.
        Actually we got lucky and did not have to provide access to w/c or handicapped people upstairs since as was told to me " as long as you offer the same services downstairs as upstairs you do not have to provide access"
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

I should have clarified. The two floor plans depict two concepts based on cost and time. Two bathrooms would meet the ads requirement to use our upstairs area as a cafe area. The second floor is an empty layout of the first. Either way we plan for brewing and bathrooms downstairs. I really appreciate the recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You may run into problems with the TTB or your city/state on separating the brewery from the tasting area. For the most part the TTB is requiring at least a half wall as separation. I'd check with them and your local building codes before going to far.
            Manuel

Comment

Great tip. I'll check with he TTB right now. Thanks.

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
              You may run into problems with the TTB or your city/state on separating the brewery from the tasting area. For the most part the TTB is requiring at least a half wall as separation. I'd check with them and your local building codes before going to far.

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
                Actually we got lucky and did not have to provide access to w/c or handicapped people upstairs since as was told to me " as long as you offer the same services downstairs as upstairs you do not have to provide access"
                Good for you.
                Good luck.

Comment

I think you need additional space for grain storage, it wants be separate from where you store chemical and preferably rodent proof. If your using a keg washer you will also need space for an air compressor. Are you planning on bulk CO2 or just tanks? Tanks must be stored to the wall securely? You definately need to have a barrier from the public and brew house along with any FV (they are pressure vessels) and need to be secure from curious hands. How are you exhausting the steam and gas through the 2nd floor and the roof?

Comment

Where will records be kept? TTB will definitely bring that up about your layout.
                    Kevin Shertz
                    Chester River Brewing Company
                    Chestertown, MD

Comment

Just to be clear - this drawing is for us here on probrewer right? Us and investors or for your own use? Nobody in any official capacity will want to see chairs, tables, stools or little people sitting in them. All that extra stuff just gives them more things to look at and find fault with. Any official drawings should be as stripped down as possible.

Also, not enough storage. What will your overall fermentation capacity be? Is that beer getting stored in kegs or serving vessels? I don't see brites in the cold room, so I am assuming you'll be going into kegs. If so, you really don't have enough dry storage because you'll need to keep the dirty and clean kegs somewhere. I suppose you could always chain up the dirty kegs outside in the yard...

Also - I see there's a second cold room upstairs. You'll be dragging half barrels up the stairs to serve out of it? Why not just double the size of the cold room downstairs and then crank up the pressure to reach the bar upstairs? The money you save by not throwing your back out will be worth it...
                      Last edited by populuxebrewing; 10-24-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Why do you need three bathrooms? For like twenty people. Turn some of that into dry goods storage and milling.

How are people going to safely get upstairs given that, from both a regulatory and liability angle, you do not want them walking through your wet, slippery, chemical and boiling water laden, hose strewn, loud and cramped brewhouse full of employee-only-access product currently under bond to state and federal governments?

You have two bars, one up, one down, can you staff both and still make any money? If you don't consistently staff (and fill) both, how long till the upstairs bar amortizes, if ever? Skip the upstairs bar. Put your office/records/storage in the 'cold room' upstairs (think Moe's office in the ladies room at Moe's Tavern). Make the upstairs open seating with a TV on the wall for sportsball games, get a big table for meetings.

Don't understand what the second half of the second floor is. More fermenters upstairs? How's that work?
                        Russell Everett
                        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                        Bainbridge Island Brewing
                        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Floorplans

Thanks for all the input guys. I should have been more clear. The two floor plans depict option 1 and option 2 (not two separate floors) The building does have a second floor but it is wide open, the layout of the first floor, and we plan to use it for seating and storage.

Originally posted by HBC2193 View Post
                          Hi,

I'm planning to open a 2 bbl nano in my downtown of my hometown city.

The space is tight but doable. Our proposed floor plans are attached. It has a large outdoor space with a yard and 12 spot parking lot. I'm concerned about being blindsided by unforeseen dimension issues.

The ceilings measure 9'3". Anyone see any show stopping issues with this?

[ATTACH]26986[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26987[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by HBC2193 View Post
                            Thanks for all the input guys. I should have been more clear. The two floor plans depict option 1 and option 2 (not two separate floors) The building does have a second floor but it is wide open, the layout of the first floor, and we plan to use it for seating and storage.
                            Your stairs in the two drawings suggest the complete opposite... one showing a lower lever and the other depicting an upper level.
                            Kevin Shertz
                            Chester River Brewing Company
                            Chestertown, MD

Comment

In either layout, I'd say you are going to be very tight. I currently run a 1Bbl (new brewery being built now) in a space this size. Production only, no tap room, and we are completely maxed out. We have four taps directly mounted to the cold room wall for sampling in our tiny retail space. We have more refrigeration than you have and it's busting at the seams. We have a fermenter room since our tanks aren't jacketed or chilled but the tanks take the same amount of space regardless. Assuming your are going jacketed and chilled, where will your chiller unit go? Where do you plan to put grain (and mill it)? I'd say make some use of that upstairs space for grain and milling but it's going to be back breaking loading 55lb sacks up there. Where will your hop freezer be?

It would be good to see your actual production layout to see how you plan on fitting the "work" side of the business in the space.

Comment

Working...
                              X