Serving Brett Beer in Taproom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving Brett Beer in Taproom

I'll be having some brett beers coming out of barrels in the next couple months. I am planning on bottle conditioning the majority of it, however I would like to put a 1/6 or so in my tasting room. Do I need to be concerned about contaminating my lines? My initial thought is that it wouldn't be a problem because the lines are always ~35 degrees and I've seen plenty of sours and what not on tap at various bars. Assuming we clean the lines as normal when switching the keg, is there anything I need to be concerned about?

Yes it's worth concern, I would make sure to clean your line/coupler/faucet well after that keg is on and then tap a keg with 160+ degree water to sanitize the line with heat

Comment

What are your line cleaning procedures, and how fast are you turning kegs?

A line that gets a static cleaning once every four weeks will probably cause all sorts of problems, Brett being the least of them. A line that gets a pump cleaning every two weeks shouldn't.

I'm not sure how your draft system is set up, but I would be amazed if you could deliver 160F water consistently to a single line, and I would be concerned about cooking the rest of the beers in the trunk as well as damaging the resistance rating of the barrier tubing when doing so.

Brett isn't the boogeyman. Take a deep breath, keep your shit clean, and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by william.heinric View Post
        What are your line cleaning procedures, and how fast are you turning kegs?

A line that gets a static cleaning once every four weeks will probably cause all sorts of problems, Brett being the least of them. A line that gets a pump cleaning every two weeks shouldn't.

I'm not sure how your draft system is set up, but I would be amazed if you could deliver 160F water consistently to a single line, and I would be concerned about cooking the rest of the beers in the trunk as well as damaging the resistance rating of the barrier tubing when doing so.

Brett isn't the boogeyman. Take a deep breath, keep your shit clean, and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
        Bill
        We clean our lines weekly, couplers monthly. I'll probably just clean as normal after the keg blows, and disassemble and clean the coupler..see how that goes.

Comment

I should have specified not to run hot water through your lines if you have long lines with a glycol setup. For us it's a great way to sanitize our lines. (We have 15 foot lines running directly through our cooler wall.

Brett wouldn't be a huge problem living in a normal bar's lines, but if you are packaging in any way off your taps then you might want to worry about Brett. For obvious reasons it will dramatically change your packages shelf stability.

Comment

Clean your taps well and you will be fine. I put full sours on; you just have to clean the holy hell out of the line, tap, faucet and so on afterwards and you're good to go.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
            X