Back sweetening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back sweetening

We are planning on making a hard root beer soon and am looking for ideas on what form of sugar to back sweeten with. I'm sure we could simply use high fructose corn syrup but would prefer to not go there.

Back Sweetening

Maltodextrine works great.

Comment

Why not do what most cider producers do, stop fermentation when you reach the sugar content you want. Gotta make sure you kill the yeast though, or they will start up again.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will research the use of maltodextrin some more. Looks like it is used often to add body but I'm not sure it is sweet enough. I really like the idea of just using grain to get the sweetness I am looking for. I wonder if it's possible to consistently stop fermentation by dropping the temp and whether our DE filter would remove enough yeast to prevent packaging issues.

Comment

Maltodextrin and lactose are usually listed as about 1/8 as sweet as Sucrose, so really, they're there for body and a hint of residual sweetness. You could try xylitol. I've used it to back sweeten one-off experimental kegs. (Made Creamsicle IPA for a thing once). It's got a sharp, chemical kind of sweetness if you overdo it, but the rootbeer spices would cover that and it is unfermentable. Also it's a laxative if you overdo it. Oh and it's super poisonous to dogs. But other than that it's great.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
          X