Questioning the Zahm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioning the Zahm

So my mobile canning crew is here and we had an issue with a large amount of low fills so they questioned the carb level in the beer (as I would have) I checked it several times and it came out at 2.47 (just a tad high) and 31 degrees. So, I thought perhaps the gauge on the Zahm is bad I ordered a new one then checked one vs. the other and they both read the same. My question is what else on the zahm could be bad....there are no leaks on any gasket my only other thing was perhaps the thermometer has gone bad? Never heard of that but the canners believe its over carbonated by tasting the beer any thoughts.
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Thoughts

Is it Michigan mobile canning? 2.47 is on the very low end of the spectrum. I always shoot for 2.55 min. And 2.62 as prime level. If it is MMC we have ran beer at 2.62 with them before with no issues. We usually get 2-3 cases of short fills with them....unfortunately.

Is it reading at 31 degrees on the zahm? The coldest I have ever gotten is 35 degrees on the zahm, while it is 31 degrees in the brite.

Patrick Arvesen
    Evil Czech Brewery
    Last edited by Evilbrewer; 10-20-2015, 07:52 AM.

Comment

My mobile canner says to carb to 2.45, however when I did that we had problems with insufficient foam over before crowning. After that first time, I go to 2.5 to 2.6 and have zero issues. It's weird.

Comment

Yes Patrick it is I really like these guys but we had a horrible run last time 21 cases of short fills and so we questioned the zahm as I said in my OP. Today we are rolling along great at 2.45 at 30-31 on the brite and yes like you said lowest I ever get on the Zahm is 34-35. I am going to call Zahm and see what they have to say. I dont know perhaps just beer gremlins. Ya work in this business long enough you start to believe in them
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

You probably already thought of this but how long is the run from the brite to the caning line? You might have beer warming up or insufficient pressure to keep the co2 in solution with that much restriction.

Comment

Just to make sure have you calibrated the pressure gauge on your zahm? The gauges tend to go out pretty quick.
            Manuel

Comment

zahm storage

In addition to the things others have suggested: do you you keep your zahm in your walk in/cold storage? That might help you get your temp down to 31, just a thought.

Something I haven't done but might be worth trying: popping it in the freezer for a bit prior to zahming the brite

Comment

To answer a few questions I bought another gauge from Zahm and it read identical so the old gauge was good guess I have a spare now. I do keep it in the cooler sounds like 35 is the number most others get when its around 32 in the brite.
                SO, I called Zahm about this and what they have found is that when pushing the beer to the canner or bottler for that manner using CO2 with the high brite tank pressure that the canners like (18ish#) that the beer absorbing some of that CO2 and causing some of the foaming issues. Now the big rotary fillers use gravity to fill the cans and usually a diaphragm pump to lift it up to the bowl. SO the answer is getting a CO2 piercing device and check it in the can right off of the line.

Funny as I type this the canning run is going awesome with virtually the same numbers as last week. Beats the shit out of me why I guess I should be happy with this
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

Don't trust the pressure gauge on the Zahm, even if it agrees with a second one. The Zahm gauges have a calibration screw--use it. Set up a pressure gauge tester, using a calibrated gauge (I prefer digital, as they stay calibrated longer) or Zahm's calibrator. Even a calibration gauge will occasionally need to be sent out and calibrated itself.

If you have a newer Zahm with the dial thermo, that needs calibration also. Get a good MIG reference thermometer--we got one for <$100. Treat it like you would a newborn baby, and use it regularly.

If you make a habit of calibrating all the pressure gauges and thermos in the brewery, you'll be amazed how much better everything goes. I try to calibrate all these at the very least once a month. In fact, I think I'll check our two Zahms right now....
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                  X