Mash tun strike water mixing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash tun strike water mixing

I'm trying to make our strike water mixer work better--it currently doesn't work well at all.

Our current set-up is a simple tee, with 1" hot and cold liquor lines coming in through the sides, and a 1 1/4" line from the boss to the tun. Valves are 1" full-port ball valves. The thermo mounts in a tee immediately after. This system is very difficult to control, and the thermo swings wildly with any change in the valves.

I'm planning on changing to a tee with the hot H2O in through the end and the cold H2O in from the boss, with the thermo mounted 8-10" downstream in the boss of another tee, at a 90 bend. I'm also thinking of making that 8-10" straight pipe into a mixing tube of sorts by soldering pieces of 12 ga. wire through the pipe. Anyone try this? Worth the trouble?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Had the same problems a few years back... what i did was take a old 1/2 barrel keg weld on bottom and top a clamp fittings and on the side a port for the thermometer. I just put the keg right after the mixing tee and the first thermometer.
    The keg helps to mix the water better and it works also as a buffer in case of any ups and down of water temps.
    Jonas Kohberger
    Director/Headbrewer/Owner
    Nevada Cerveceria
    Minca
    Colombia

Comment

Static mixer.....

This is what you want.... They work extremely well for just this situation. Best of luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X