Thread: Pumping Spent grain out of a silo

Pumping Spent grain out of a silo

My brewery, Prost in Denver, just installed a spent grain silo. We're having trouble keeping the silo from leaking liquid and grain. We installed a Auger from our previous grain out system on the bottom of the silo and its just not sealing. Grain comes out the front of the auger when the grain silo reaches a certain level.

I'm curious to hear what pump or other system has been used to get the spent grain out of the silo and into a farmers trailer or truck. Something sealed and efficient. I was recommended Vettertec by some friends of mine. Just curious to hear what else is out there.

Thanks.

Colin

The only brewery I've worked at that had a spent grain silo was in the UK - and I don't know the brand of equipment they used.

The bottom of the spent grain silo had a slide gate attached to keep any grain from leaking out. The auger they used was actually pneumatic and just used their air compressor. I'm not sure how the system was installed or who manufactured it though. Sorry
    Manuel

You might want to talk to Ska. They gravity dump from the spent grain silo, but use a pump to get from the brew deck into the silo against ~20' of static head.

Word, thanks. Ill drop Ska a line next week

Call 21st amendment they just installed a new system at their new brewery. For one closer to home, check out New Belgium, they have a very nice spent grain handling system.

We use a pneumatic slide gate valve at the bottom of the tank. Not really another option for a tight seal as far as I am concerned. I would need to see and understand your whole setup from tank to truck to make better recommendations.

We had an auger after the slide gate at one point and it was a maintenance nightmare. It was mild steel and it constantly corroded and broke in addition to leaking like crazy. We ended up just dropping straight out of the tank and using the slide gate to control flow. We have a lot of other little features that assist with emptying at a controlled rate. When someone doesn't follow instructions, it can be fun to watch!

I did a lot of things wrong before we finally figured it out. Contact me at matt@skafabricating.com for details.
    Matt Vincent
    www.skafabricating.com
    www.skabrewing.com

Quote Originally Posted by C_Ford View Post
    My brewery, Prost in Denver, just installed a spent grain silo. We're having trouble keeping the silo from leaking liquid and grain. We installed a Auger from our previous grain out system on the bottom of the silo and its just not sealing. Grain comes out the front of the auger when the grain silo reaches a certain level.

I'm curious to hear what pump or other system has been used to get the spent grain out of the silo and into a farmers trailer or truck. Something sealed and efficient. I was recommended Vettertec by some friends of mine. Just curious to hear what else is out there.

Thanks.

Colin
    We have installed many spent grain bins in the US and we have always had good luck with the people from Malthandling.com using Orbinox valves.........you can go to their website and I normally speak with Will Natsues. Hope this helps.