Direct Fire HLT Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Fire HLT Automation

I'm looking for a little advice on automating my brew day a bit.

I would like my HLT to be on a thermostat so it can be filled the day before, ~75 gallons, and say at 5am the burner will kick on ( natural gas ) along with the brewery hood and have it kick the burner off/on when the temperature reaches whatever set point I choose ( ~170 degrees ). It's taking me several hours to fill and heat up my HLT to mash in temps and I would like to shave off some time if possible.

Is this easily doable with a direct fire system? I've got a 3BBL Stout Tanks HLT/MT/BK.

All sorts of stuff like this on homebrew talk automation thread. Lots of different solutions from a raspberry pi, brewtroller, BCS etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Beluedog View Post
      All sorts of stuff like this on homebrew talk automation thread. Lots of different solutions from a raspberry pi, brewtroller, BCS etc.
      Didn't think to check there. I assume everything will translate over to pro brewery just fine?

Comment

Easy...maybe

What is the power source to your burner now? If it is standard single phase 110V on/off then the solution is fairly easy. If it isn't then ignore the following...

I run a direct fire kettle and do exactly what you are proposing. Kettle is filled the night before and it kicks on automatically at 4-5:00 in the morning. When I come in at 8 its ready to roll. I have line power coming into a 2 gang wall mount box. Power first goes through a standard house lighting timer and then into a standard wall switch. Output from that goes to a standard Ranco and then to the kettle burner. Set the timer to whatever time you want it to come on, leave the light switch in the on position (this is simply in-line of the circuit to create a quick shutoff if needed) and set the Ranco. At the specified time the timer will power the Ranco on and in turn kick the burner on and control to the set temp. You will get some overshoot in temp as this is a simple on/off rather than PID control but I have learned that the overshoot is pretty constant and thus easy to correct by setpoint adjustment.

This solution cost about $100 with the Ranco being the most expensive part (everything else comes from Home Depot)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	190787. Sure there are many more complex controls that will do the job just fine, but this is dead simple and works great.
        Scott LaFollette
        Fifty West Brewing Company
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

There is zero power source. I open the gas valve and light the burner.

Originally posted by yap View Post
          What is the power source to your burner now? If it is standard single phase 110V on/off then the solution is fairly easy. If it isn't then ignore the following...

I run a direct fire kettle and do exactly what you are proposing. Kettle is filled the night before and it kicks on automatically at 4-5:00 in the morning. When I come in at 8 its ready to roll. I have line power coming into a 2 gang wall mount box. Power first goes through a standard house lighting timer and then into a standard wall switch. Output from that goes to a standard Ranco and then to the kettle burner. Set the timer to whatever time you want it to come on, leave the light switch in the on position (this is simply in-line of the circuit to create a quick shutoff if needed) and set the Ranco. At the specified time the timer will power the Ranco on and in turn kick the burner on and control to the set temp. You will get some overshoot in temp as this is a simple on/off rather than PID control but I have learned that the overshoot is pretty constant and thus easy to correct by setpoint adjustment.

This solution cost about $100 with the Ranco being the most expensive part (everything else comes from Home Depot). Sure there are many more complex controls that will do the job just fine, but this is dead simple and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
            There is zero power source. I open the gas valve and light the burner.
            Well then. That complicates matters. You may be able to add a controlling gas valve/pilot light/electronic ignition system to it, but I have no source for parts on that and it will depend highly upon the type/design of your burner. My old MoreBeer sculpture uses a thermostat valve on the burner with a standing pilot which is connected to a Ranco. If you could rig something like that then you could do the above to kick the Ranco on/off....

Sorry I couldn't be more help..
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Working...
            X