Questions about qPCR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gram Staining

Hey, for what it's worth, a quick Gram stain of the unfiltered beer will give you an immediate indication of any presence of bacteria or some wild yeasts. I don't even go beyond the crystal violet step--you can pick out the individual cell shapes perfectly fine without safranin. Lactobacillus and Pediococcus are very distinctive, as well as Brettanomyces. This is the quickest and cheapest option as far as I've seen, and can help you eliminate those samples which do not raise any red flags before you go about molecular techniques like qPCR. Unfortunately, it will be necessary to use PCR when Diastaticus is suspected though.

Comment

We use PIKA Weheinstephan's qPCR kits. They run about $10 a test, depending on how many samples you run. They have +/- controls included, unlike Invisible sentinel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wit Guy View Post
        Is anyone aware of a commercial multiplex real time PCR kit which has limits of detection comparable to GeneDisc or Invisible Sentinel? I've found a one-well test which detects lacto/pedio/megasphera/pectinatus for $15, but the detection limits aren't quite good enough to use without nutrient enrichement.
        We use Gen-ial First Beer kit. It's the only one I have found that I can multiplex on qPCR that includes diastaticus. I am looking for other options if anyone else knows of any commercially available kits?

Comment

Working...
        X