Converting Letinas for beer production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Letinas for beer production

We are in a unique situation where we have a winery, ciders, and brewery on site. We are looking to downsize the winery and cidery and expand the brewery. Instead of purchasing new cylindroconcial fermenters the brainstorming is to use the u-band jacketed Letinas as beer fermenters. Special note is that we are located in central Florida. The building is air conditioned. We brew both lagers and ales. A couple of questions have risen:

Can the Letinas crash the beer?
    These are floating lid Letinas. Do they need to have the lids welded or keep the floating lids?
    Should the Letinas be wrapped or insulated?
    We do not use pumps to move product, but use positive pressure (CO2) to move product from vessel to vessel. Our Letinas cannot be pressurized (floating lids) so how do breweries that use Letinas move product? Perastolic pumps?
    I realize yeast harvesting would be extremely difficult, are there any tricks?

Other thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Moonbrews,
      I had read through that thread but thought that because I had more unique questions that I would begin a new thread. Thank you for reading through and posting that link though.

Comment

I don't use those tanks but I can tell you that without wrapping them with some sort of insulation (which gets very messy and is a great place for mold to get a foothold) you won't be able to do a good job crashing in them. I have a glycol jacketed FV that didn't come with any insulation and getting the temp down without insulation has proven to be impossible. The insulation happens to make a mess, get wet, grow mold, stink etc etc... It can be done, but be prepared to spend a lot more time working on them.
        Manuel

Comment

Working...
        X