Handling 30bbl Spent Grain - Multiple Brews a Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling 30bbl Spent Grain - Multiple Brews a Day

First, is anyone running around a 30bbl brew house? I'm trying to wrap my head around how to store spent grain the best way possible. If anyone has pictures on how they handle theirs, that would be great!!

This will be in an urban area, and we will have a beer garden close by. Not sure if the best option is to just give it away, or use it for bio-fuel.
    Last edited by Alphaacid; 11-19-2015, 02:14 PM.

I'd go for getting rid of it ASAP to a farmer prepared to come in and pick it up daily (transport and labour at his expense, plus possibly a small financial contribution to yourselves). After a day, the stuff starts to ferment, and is not really the sort of smell you want next to a beer garden in summer.

The problem with using it for biofuel is that you have to dry it, typically with a belt press to drier than 42% moisture, from probably around 60% moisture. And the burners need to be designed to work with such small (and wet) feed material. So unless you are dealing with large quantities, the chances are it will not be economical to use a biofuel or at least, for you to install the kit to be able to burn it yourself.
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X