Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Star Anise

Hello all,

I am a brew pub brewer in NY and have been in the industry for about five years. I have never used star anise in any of my brews however I recently came across some Belgian candi syrup and whole star anise so... belgian dark strong here I come. Im posting to see if anybody has had any experience using whole star anise and has any recommendations. Thanks for the feed back,

Zach

No matter what, use some sort of bag or containment mechanism for them unless you have a huge system with a 3 inch port. They will get stuck, and jumping into a hot kettle to remove them by hand after knocking out is exhausting and relatively dangerous. I don't remember having run off problems, but cleaning the kettle was the absolute worst. We never brewed that beer again for that sole reason.

Comment

Star anise...

I use it for a stout. Roast/Toast it in a pan over fairly high heat until it is ashen and fragrant. Cool it, then grind to powder. Toss in at whirlpool. Use VERY LITTLE! My first trial years ago was 12 grams into 1,000 liters and it was WAY overdone.... Now I'm using it around 9 grams per 1,000 liters for a light handed, but noticeable touch. Also may wish to make the flavors more intricate by using a blend with Anise Seed. Good luck.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Used 5 'stars' suspended in 10hL boil for 20 min in a mesh bag. Notable contribution. Not overwhelming.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
        X