Yeast + X-rays = ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast + X-rays = ?

Was wondering if anybody has taken their yeast slants/slurry through airport baggage screening x-rays, and what, if anything, happened as a result? Can that dose of x-rays kill yeast? Cause mutations that result in your IIPA tasting like Zima on 'roids?
    Any hassles from screeners about what looks like a potential biohazard (White Labs tubes - there is a lot of ignorance out there)? I may try for hand screening but I don't want to spend a lot of time talking about where I was in 1978...

David Anderson
    Brewer's Alchemy Exports & Consulting

I don't think the carry-on security check scaning is so strong to cause much damage, but yes, you do risk causing DNA damage, whenever there's X-ray, UV, or whatever can induce free oxygen radicals.

I would just have them hand check the yeast. prove them you are a brewer would probably help. Be nice and be patient. It will take the extra 3-5 min for hand check, but it's not that bad.

In any event, NEVER, put the yeast in the check-in luggage. Check-ins go through very strong X-ray, which will definitely cause damages!

Comment

why not fed-ex it to yourself?
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

I had the opportunity to troubleshoot a brewery with problems in a former Soviet state. The yeast would not attenuate properly, stopping at about 50%. I found that the yeast had been severly damaged due to x-rays from customs clearances. Other countries I've been to have a customs form that ask specifically "are you carrying any cultures or bacteria". Made me wonder who doesn't carry bacteria, but I understood it to also include yeast cultures. Might want a smack pack as they look innocent enough and they are in attractive commercial packaging. A slant on a tube could be anything--especially to a paranoid customs officer. How do you intend to prove your slant is benign? I've carried yeast in smack packs many times with no hassles or fermentation problems. Good luck!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
        X