Best 3 Vessel Set-up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghobbs View Post
    A pretty standard set up for > 8 turns per 24 hours is: mash kettle, lauter tun, pre-run tank, wort kettle, whirlpool. Some suppliers of this configuration quote that it is possible to achieve 12 turns per 24 hours. It does depend on the type of beer and the plato etc of the product though.
    What's a pre-run tank?

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy13 View Post
      What's a pre-run tank?
      A buffer tank or wort collection tank to run off into from the lauter tun while the wort kettle is occupied. I'm fairly sure I've seen set ups where the lautered wort is pre-heated by a heat ex with recovered heat from the kettle or other energy storage system on the way to the pre run tank as well.

Comment

Mash Mixer, Lauter Tun, Copper/Whirlpool will likely be the most flexible. Mash/Kettle, Lauter Tun, Whirlpool will be harder to re-configure should you need to expand in the future. I have seen combined pre-run/whirlpool vessels that take up less floor space than two separate vessels which is handy and might save a few quid..

Comment

Originally posted by will2mey View Post
          Mash Mixer, Lauter Tun, Copper/Whirlpool will likely be the most flexible. Mash/Kettle, Lauter Tun, Whirlpool will be harder to re-configure should you need to expand in the future. I have seen combined pre-run/whirlpool vessels that take up less floor space than two separate vessels which is handy and might save a few quid..
          No, we were thinking we'd set-up as combi. (1)Mash/Lauter, (2)Kettle, (3)Whirlpool. Different than what you have stated. My other question is, what about two mash/lauter tuns alongside the kettle and whirlpool that are dual purpose and could also be used as a pre-run tank. Basically to start a mash before the other is cleaned out, while the kettle is beginning to boil batch 1. We dont like the idea of having to transfer the entire mash into a vessel without clean out rakes...
          Last edited by SamWBrewmaster; 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

M/k + l + k/w

Originally posted by SamWBrewmaster View Post
            Hey everyone.

We are planning our brewery out and our next step is to commission our brewhouse. We are going to go with a 3 vessel system for flexibility but I am wondering what, in your opinion, is a better 3 vessel set-up. M,L,K/W or M/L, K, W?

I have seen Mash (steam jacketed), Lauter, Kettle/Whirlpool so the mash tun doubles as a boil kettle for the back to back brewing, BUT has the rakes in it, which can hinder whirlpooling on the second batch. Also, with this first set-up, it seems that once the mash is transferred, the lauter tun does not contain rakes, so spent grain removal must be done by hand.

The other set-up I've seen is Mash/Lauter, Kettle, Whirlpool. So I assume, once the mashtun is cleaned out (via using the rakes) during boiling of the wort, we can be grinding our grist and begin another mash. Once the first batch is whirlpooling, we can lauter into our kettle and begin boiling again.

Correct me if any of this is wrong. BUT I am leaning towards the latter set-up as it seems more suited to efficiently brewing batches back to back with little issue. What's your thoughts?
            Hey,
            BrewFab is currently building a Mash Kettle + Lauter + Kettle/Whirlpool for a MBAA brewer who is excited about the beer spectrum possibilities of this set up. The 3vsl setup allows production efficiency with option to decoct in the mash or use a kettle for souring. There are rakes in the Lauder tun for grain removal . NO rakes in the the K/WP so no obstruction. Even if you did a two vessel with M/K/WP +L you would ramp the VFD down on the mixing blades for an efficient WP.

Comment

3 vessel set up

Hi Sam

please email me as we have set up a 3 vessel system both ways and they are both in BC and I can get you in touch with them

wayne@ripleystainless.com

1-250-494-9310 ext 103

thanks Wayne Ripley

Comment

yolong 3-vessel brewhouse for reference

Hi sam,

Yolong have build several 3 vessel brewhouse for usa clients.
                You may send email to me randy&yolongbrewtech.com for make quotation.

YOLONG INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.

link www.yolongbrewtech.com for more information

randy
                project manager

Comment

I always thought a wort receiver would speed up our operations more than the addition of a WP. Running off into one while finishing up the boil/WP would be huge. Currently running a MT/LT and KT/WP.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X