health code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• health code

Hey there everyone. I'm in the process of starting my nano setup, and was trying to find some info on health codes and violations for a very small brewery with no tap room. I am in toledo ohio I know that makes a difference, but I can't seem to find any clear info or document with this info. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Make Some Phone Calls

Honestly, any information people give you on here is going to be what their health dept/dept of ag told them. They are all very, very different. I would recommend making lots of phone calls before you decide what you are going to do for your setup and build out. You'll want a general idea, but in the end they will generally tell you what you need to do. I would start by calling the city and telling them what your plan is. They should be able to start you with licensing and be able to set you up with the appropriate regulatory agency as far as health/ag is concerned. If they have dealt with nanos before they will be able to tell you up front what they are picky about and what isn't quite as important. They also provided us a packet with everything they would be checking for and what was required in build out. Good luck!

Floors, system, walls, cleaning procedures, chemicals used, transfering and storage of materials and beer, safety and HACCP planning, OSHA requirements & insurance are some basics to start with that they will want to know about. Even as a nano you need to comply with all these things, which isn't always cheap or easy.

Comment

Agree with above... call your local Health Department. You do yourself no favors by trying to avoid talking to them.

NEVER rely on third-party information regarding Health Department requirements; you'll only waste time and money. There may be other breweries in Toledo that have been "grandfathered" in their build-out from when they opened. Code standards do change over time.
      Last edited by ChesterBrew; 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM.
      Kevin Shertz
      Chester River Brewing Company
      Chestertown, MD

Comment

Originally posted by LTD Brewing View Post
        Honestly, any information people give you on here is going to be what their health dept/dept of ag told them. They are all very, very different. I would recommend making lots of phone calls before you decide what you are going to do for your setup and build out. You'll want a general idea, but in the end they will generally tell you what you need to do. I would start by calling the city and telling them what your plan is. They should be able to start you with licensing and be able to set you up with the appropriate regulatory agency as far as health/ag is concerned. If they have dealt with nanos before they will be able to tell you up front what they are picky about and what isn't quite as important. They also provided us a packet with everything they would be checking for and what was required in build out. Good luck!

Floors, system, walls, cleaning procedures, chemicals used, transfering and storage of materials and beer, safety and HACCP planning, OSHA requirements & insurance are some basics to start with that they will want to know about. Even as a nano you need to comply with all these things, which isn't always cheap or easy.
        There is even some differences between inspectors within a single local dept. One may say x is ok, another might have issues. For example, several years ago I had an inspector that gave me grief over a using a wooden paddle, the guy that came in after him knew it was a non-issue and never said a word. So, be prepared for some foolishness, it is inevitable.

Comment

Fire marshall in our town asked what safe guards we would have for our CO2 tanks since it's a flammable gas. Pointing out the green "non-flammable gas" label on the tank did the trick on that one

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
            Fire marshall in our town asked what safe guards we would have for our CO2 tanks since it's a flammable gas. Pointing out the green "non-flammable gas" label on the tank did the trick on that one

Your Fire Marshall should probably be "de-marshalled"

Comment

Lol. Thanks guys. This is a good jumping off point. I really appreciate how helpful everyone is here.

Comment

I just can't stop laughing at the fire marshall comments. You just can't make this stuff up. On a less serious note, If you won't have a tap room and you're nano small... What are you going to do with the beer?

Comment

Working...
                X