Burner and venting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner and venting issues

I have a 2bbl direct fire propane brew system from Stout Tanks and Kettles. I am having trouble with with heating and venting. It is taking me almost 2 hours to get 80 gallons of wort to boil (from mash temp).

The heat just doesn't seem to transfer to the liquid as it should. The floor heats up to where the tiles crack if I am not spraying them down with water every 5 minutes.

The kettle has a skirt with a 6" vent opening that I have piped directly (with 6" single wall stainless steel pipe) into the opening of my vent hood. I have a fan running that is loud as hell but I am not sure if it is as powerful as it sounds, (I am not sure what the CFM is).

I am guessing that I just need a bigger fan but I don't want to keep dropping money into this and try and fix through trial and error. Is the answer a more powerful fan? An inline fan? Can the fan be too big and I have a whole new set of problems if the CFM is too much?

Anyone have any ideas about this or had similar problems? Thanks in advance.

Hi Dave,

Please give us a call - it sounds like there may be some setup issues that we can help with.

Cheers,

John/Stout Tanks and Kettles
    503-372-9580

Comment

I also have a 2 bbl direct fire system from Stout Tanks. It takes me about 2 hrs to get up to boiling from mash out. I've read several posts on here from other guys who have the same issue. The main issue seams to be the kettle design. It's tall and narrow, so it's going to take the wort longer to heat up because of the smaller surface area on the bottom of the kettle.

I'm assuming your burners are from Ward burners. Mark Ward might be able to help you out. He helped us up our BTU's on our burners. It was taking us 2.5 hrs before and now we're down to 2. At this point I've just conceded to the fact it's going to take us 2 hrs.

My kettle also sits on tiles and I haven't had any issues with tiles cracking. You may need to find some different tiles.

We have a small fan tied into our exhaust and it works great. You might want to get a professional in there to take a look.

Cheers,
      Brian

Comment

Working...
      X