Statement of process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statement of process

I need to do a statement of process for a beer we are trying to register. Is there more to it than it seems, It looks like all I have to do is list the ingredients, quantity, point in production when they are added, and if they contribute to the ABV. Is there more to it than this?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill
    Marzoni's Brick Oven and Brewing

That's pretty much it. I've done several over the last 14 years including a "meade" malt beverage and bourbon barrel formulas. I've never had one questioned for content.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Sop

Just list ingredients. You don't have to be specific about fermentation temps or mash sequences. This was our Hefeweizen SOP

Sebago Hefeweizen

20 Bbl. Batch

x lbs. 2-Row Malt
      x lbs. Malted Wheat
      x lbs. Hop Pellets
      Fermented with traditional German wheat beer yeast

This was our Blue Berry SOP
      20 Bbl. Batch

x lbs. 2-Row Malt
      x lbs. Caramel Malt 60L
      x lbs. Munich Malt 20L
      x lbs. Hop Pellets
      x lbs. Fresh macerated Blueberries in Fermenter. We than add wort and ferment for 4 days.

Pretty simple. You can attach it to your online COLAS form.
      Good Luck
      Kai Adams
      Sebago Brewing Company
      www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Is this just done for bottled beers, or do you have to do an SOP every time you decide to throw peaches in the fermenter at your brewpub?

Best,
        Ben

Comment

statement of proccess

If you use any non standard beer ingredient (according to the TTB) you must file a Formula/statement of process in triplicate with the TTB"s labeling and formulation division expect 4-6 weeks for approval. The approval will contain wording on how the malt beverage as they now call it must be stated such as, “Malt Beverage Fermented with real Peaches” all of this must be completed before brewing or selling your beer that has a non standard ingredient in it. I have been through this 5 times now, it is easy and helps keep you on the good side of the TTB.

Fred Colby
          Laughing Dog Brewing
          fcolby@laughingdogbrewing.com

Comment

Does this include beers fermented with "other" yeasts,. such as Brett., or LAB?

How about beers aged in oak?

thanks,

Scott
            Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
            Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
            Elmsford, NY
            www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

Statement of Process

No yeast is considered a standard beer ingredient as of yet the TTB has not said anything to me about what yeast I use, if it’s a new oak bbl they should not say anything but if it’s an old wine barrel or a bourbon /whiskey barrel then yes you must file a statement of process as it could contribute to the flavor, composition or alcohol level of the beer. I would file a Statement of process just to be safe, it’s free and if they reject it saying you don’t need one then you know what to file in the future.

Fred Colby
              Laughing Dog Brewing

Comment

Here is a scenario i have. I brewed a 20bbl batch and kegged up 16bbl of it as is. I then put 4 bbl of it into oak barrels and will be adding fruit to the barrels for a secondary fermentation.

How should I list the raw materials? For the whole 20bbl batch or should I figure out how much grain, hops i would have used for a 4 bbl batch and treat is as a seperate brew?

Should i just make a note that after fermenting 20bbl i then transfered 4 bbl to the oak for a secondary fermentation?

any help would be appreciated.

Scott
                Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
                Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
                Elmsford, NY
                www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

I would list the whole batch but clearly state that 4 bbl. will be aged in oak. The SOP is a very simple thing and barrel aging is common. The best I can tell, the ATF/TTB is only looking for; 1. unapproved adjuncts and 2. increases in alcohol not provided by malt.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                  X