Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A puzzle about that use a pump to recirculating hops for dry hopping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A puzzle about that use a pump to recirculating hops for dry hopping.

Hi , I have a 4BBL Conical Fermenter.

Usually,I will do dry hopping 7-10 days (from hole on the fermenter)when primary fermentation will be finish, and close fermenter for keep pressure (0.12 mpa)of the fermenter.

Now I wanna use a pump to stirred beer for extract flavor and aroma.

So I have a question, When hops must are dry hopping?

This process will affect the fermentation? If I add hops when primary fermentation will be finish.

How to keep CO2 in the beer? If I add hops when primary fermentation was thorough finish.

Maybe I need a special equipment?

Thanks.

No need to circulate the beer, just insure the hop bag (you are bagging the hops) is below the surface to allow the alcohol in the fermented beer to extract the oils in the hops. This sounds like an IPA, so I would refrain from hammering the beer any more than you have to in order to complete secondary fermentation and transfer into a Brite or keg for carbonation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
      No need to circulate the beer, just insure the hop bag (you are bagging the hops) is below the surface to allow the alcohol in the fermented beer to extract the oils in the hops. This sounds like an IPA, so I would refrain from hammering the beer any more than you have to in order to complete secondary fermentation and transfer into a Brite or keg for carbonation.
      Hi Scott, Thank your for your help. Beacause I read this article
      (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LF-1NoSLtpslPA)

So I wanna reduce dry hopping hours by stirred beer.

Comment

I haven't read that abstract so cannot comment on specifics Thomas has mentioned.

However, a couple of thoughts

most people do not bother to rouse as this simplifies everything, but accept that hop oil extraction may not be maximised.

Some people are using Hopnik type setups - you may wish to consider this

If you want to use a pump, it needs to be non destructive - you cannot use a high speed centrifugal as this will chew up the hops too much. So I would suggest something like a peristaltic pump, taking off the relatively clear bee in the upper section of the beer, and pumping slowly back in the bottom.

If you want to use a paddle, rather than a pump - use a top entry pump, but watch out for leaking gearbox oil. The agitator must be low speed, low shear. Or if you can get a magnetic pump (not sure the exact description), where the agitator is driven by a rotating magnet outside the tank, this will be far hygienic.

The pump will input a small amount of heat due to mechanical action, and any pickup from the recirculation pipework, so your tank should be temperature controlled

If you agitate, then you are liable to lose CO2, unless you have a pressurised vessel.

And finally, you will need to let the hops settle for a period before drawing the beer off, probably via a higher level port.
        dick

Comment

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your detailed answers.

Especially how to choose a pump.

It's very useful for me.

So if I use a pump, I need to carbonate beer again after stirred beer?

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
          I haven't read that abstract so cannot comment on specifics Thomas has mentioned.

However, a couple of thoughts

most people do not bother to rouse as this simplifies everything, but accept that hop oil extraction may not be maximised.

Some people are using Hopnik type setups - you may wish to consider this

If you want to use a pump, it needs to be non destructive - you cannot use a high speed centrifugal as this will chew up the hops too much. So I would suggest something like a peristaltic pump, taking off the relatively clear bee in the upper section of the beer, and pumping slowly back in the bottom.

If you want to use a paddle, rather than a pump - use a top entry pump, but watch out for leaking gearbox oil. The agitator must be low speed, low shear. Or if you can get a magnetic pump (not sure the exact description), where the agitator is driven by a rotating magnet outside the tank, this will be far hygienic.

The pump will input a small amount of heat due to mechanical action, and any pickup from the recirculation pipework, so your tank should be temperature controlled

If you agitate, then you are liable to lose CO2, unless you have a pressurised vessel.

And finally, you will need to let the hops settle for a period before drawing the beer off, probably via a higher level port.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampco Pumps 3
            Hello,

our equipment is used to induce dry hops, chop them and recirculate the fermenter. At first, we were trying to solve safety and process issues, bringing the hop induction to the ground-level. We soon realized that recirculation of the fermenter forces contact time and has the ability to greatly affect the following:

1. aroma/flavor
            2. hop utilization
            3. reduction of wait time
            4. increased yield from denser trube pile (when not centrifuging)

we were worried about adverse affects on the beer and suspended yeast,but have dry hopped at FG (warm), at FG (cold) and on fermenting beer (0.5 point plato remaining) and have not received adverse reports regarding head retention or off flavors from yeast damage.

this is not to say it won't change the beer - the decision is yours. Not everyone likes our equipment after they've used it, but we are proud to report MANY good results.

video here:

thanks
            Marcus Traber
            Ampco Pumps
            What is your pricing for the smaller model?

Comment

Working...
            X