Lagering flat vs. carbonated beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lagering flat vs. carbonated beer

I was curious if any of you had experience lagering beer flat vs. carbonated.

The brewpub I work at has 3x FV's and 7x dispensing tanks. The serving tanks are not equipped with a carbonation port of any kind, so I am forced to carbonate in the conical FV's through what would be a racking arm port and transfer the beer under pressure to the DT.

I have an 8% maibock that is in its lagering phase in the FV and I have to decide to keep my other yeasts alive and move it (thus being forced to carbonate it) so I may brew another batch or let sleeping dogs lager.

Assuming all VDK's have been reabsorbed or at least to tolerable levels (I test for them), is there anything else the yeast does during the lagering that is beneficial to the beer or is this time primarily for clarification and intermediate compounds to level out? I should also mention that we do not filter our beer so some yeast inevitably ends up in our serving tanks, despite using finings.

Thanks.

I have done lagers with spundigs on the tanks many times with zero issues. I also understand they are pretty common in Germany, so I guess that should answer the question in itself. So as far as layering carbonated beer, I don't see an issue. I think you're fine if the beer is in good shape otherwise.

Comment

Working...
    X