Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic design software?

Hey all,

So, I'd like to start bottling product. I've put some emphasis on beer names and have ideas for label designs. But I have no background in graphic design, but would like to attempt to generate label designs in house.

For other brewers that produce their own label designs, would you have any advice on software that someone without a background in graphic design (but a good student) could pick up? I see many programs online but can't gauge which one would be best.

Thanks a lot.

It really depends on the type of images you are trying to create. Simple designs with text and logos can be done in a word processor. More advanced text and graphics are going to require some higher end apps like Illustrator. There are some less intimidating options like Affinity Designer (currently Mac only). Photo manipulation is going to require a different set of apps and skill sets. Your printer will specify file types they want to use and that will help determine software as well.

The first three versions of our labels were created in Pages on Mac. Our production labels are designed by a designer using Illustrator and I do final edits in Affinity Designer.

Comment

Gimp

I have no background in graphic design, but I like working with Gimp. It's not very different from Photoshop and it's free and there are a lot of tutorials and help online.

Comment

Try Inkscape, it's a community supported vector program.

Also, Photoshop is important.

Comment

Slightly OT, but why try to do what a pro does? This market is highly competitive, and your label is your face to the customer. You can work with a graphics designer and still get what you want, without having to repeat every mistake made before. Just getting a label that will pass TTB and the rest of the alphabet is pretty daunting. Shop around, and don't cut corners.

Back in my life as a professional photographer, one of the most oft repeated pieces of advise was "Don't design your own business cards". That was good advice.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Adobe Photoshop and adobe illustrator

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              Slightly OT, but why try to do what a pro does? This market is highly competitive, and your label is your face to the customer. You can work with a graphics designer and still get what you want, without having to repeat every mistake made before. Just getting a label that will pass TTB and the rest of the alphabet is pretty daunting. Shop around, and don't cut corners.

Back in my life as a professional photographer, one of the most oft repeated pieces of advise was "Don't design your own business cards". That was good advice.
              I can't agree more with this. We are brewers and/or business owners, not graphic designers. Hire for you weaknesses and invest in your branding. Be professional. You'll thank yourself years from now.

Comment

Agreed, gimp for raster and Inkscape for vector. Both are free, open-source, and as powerful as Adobe products for your purposes. But, I'll also echo the sentiment of working with a professional. Certainly try designing your own, show them to a few people without telling them who designed them, and see what they say. It often seems that it isn't hard to tell who has done their own graphic design when you walk down the beer aisle when you visit your local shop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

My Hobbby Is Graphic Design...

...but I don't design my own labels. I don't even try to tell my designer what I want. It's not just about design, it's about branding.

I know who buys my stuff. I convey that to the designer, who like any good shrink (professional designer=part time shrink) translates my experience into images that will appeal to that group. I don't want my lack of self reflection, ego, and general hard-headedness to mess up the greater talents of the person I hired.

Comment

Working...
                  X