Brewery/Taproom square footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery/Taproom square footage

We are planning a brewery/taproom combination and want to get some ideas about space issues. We will have a 5bbl brewhouse with 3x 10bbl fermenter, 2x 5bbl fermenters, 2x 10bbl brite, and 1x 5bbl brite. Our goal is produce 500bbl the first year and put in kegs. We will be selling crowlers (32oz.) and growlers filled from the taps in the taproom. We have a retail space we are in negotiations to lease which is under construction. So, we have built to suit type of location, yeah freedom.

I am thinking 3,000 or 3,500 total sqft.
    800 sqft brewery
    300 sqft walk-in cooler and bar
    180 sqft bathrooms
    80 sqft office
    1,650 - 2,150 sqft for chairs, tables, customers, ect.

comments or advice? should we go for more space?

I would say that your brewery space is too small. The 800 sq ft may be plenty for the equipment and moving around working, but that doesn't leave much space for storing grain, dirty kegs, clean kegs etc.
    I also didn't see any mention of space for a mill - If you're going to be milling I would recommend putting it in a separate, dedicated mill room. It makes keeping the brewery clean, shiny, and dust free a hell of a lot easier.
    You mentioned kegging your beer - if you plan to distributive 500 bbl won't get you far at all. And if you're serving it in house you may be better suited to get some serving tanks and keeping the kegs to a minimum.
    Manuel

Comment

Not sure if it's a federal rule or WA state. But for us the tap room is supposed to be 25% or less of the total operating area. Or I'm just crazy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
      Prost!
      Eric Brandjes
      Cole Street Brewery
      Enumclaw, WA

Comment

A dedicated mill room is a good idea, we are planning our taproom to be the local hang out spot for craft beer so grain dust could be a major problem. We are going to service 5 local restaurant taps, and sell the rest on premises. I've thought of serving tanks many times but the cost is 4 times the amount of buying kegs, if leasing kegs the cost is 1/20. But, of course much less work for the serving tanks.
        There is no 25% law in my state, like you mentioned in WA.

Sent from my SEB galaxy using Tapatalk
        Last edited by R.stewart; 04-12-2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X