Thread: Spent Grain Bins

Spent Grain Bins

Hey guys,

We recently upgraded from a 1 barrel tun to a 3 barrel mash tun. The new mash tins about 3 feet off the ground, where the hold 1 barrel system had a tipping mechanism and was able to be dumped into a trash can. Any recommendations for a bin or way to remove grain through the man way on the new system? Thanks in advance.

We use a shovel on our 3bbl system into Rubbermaid trash cans. Very straightforward.
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

macro-bins are very nice. A little pricey, but they will last forever and are made for use with a forklift. They can hold about 1000 lbs or so of wet grain when full.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterBrew View Post
    We use a shovel on our 3bbl system into Rubbermaid trash cans. Very straightforward.
    Right, what might different is my tuns manway is only 3ft off the ground. When I open the manway, I'm worried that a trash can tipped on its side won't be enough to catch all the grain. I routinely triple batched my 1 barrel system so I know I have about 2 and trash cans full of grain to catch when I open the manway.

Just grabbed a feed bin. Going to use that to catch the first bit and then shovel into trash cans. Should work fine.

*Edit*

There was absolutely nothing to worry about. I was worried the spent grain would be a little bit less stiff and spill all over the place. Feel kinda foolish now... oh well. At least it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
    Last edited by claponsie; 04-15-2016 at 11:30 AM.

At the 3bbl I work at, we have a similar setup with the mash tun manway only 2 feet up. we also have a kitchen and one day we had the bright idea to grab a big baking tray with sides on it to catch any spilled grain, slip that under the manway, and put our Rubbermaid trash cans on top of it.

grain removal

Just adding my experience,
    I have a 5 BBL, 64" tall mash tun with no man way at all. I stand on a step ladder and shovel out 90% of it. Then I use a shopvac designed to fit on a 55gal barrel. Suck out the rest, rinse, scrub, and then vacuum until dry. Im down to 30 min total time per brew. I fill 2 55g drums per batch about 75% full.