Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaimed yeast not thick anymore, Thougts

Hey all,

So over the last 3-4 weeks the yeast I have reclaimed has really turn liquid as opposed to the nice thick slurry I'm used to. We are using wlp002. I'm at a loss as to why its changed so suddenly. The only thing I have changed is that I've started weighing out the irish moss (using 6g/53l batch). is this a yeast health issue? we don't really control yeast ferment temp. We use a temp controlled room (I know this isn't great) and I know that they get a little on the warm side but never over 22-23c. Pitch rate is 300ml/127l batch. Again I know that this is underpitched but we haven't had negative effects from it.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
    Brewmaster
    Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Bump, and thoughts? Really need to solve this issue. Could kettle finings cause this?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
    Brewmaster

Comment

My SFA_US05 repitches do that too. It claims Medium Flocculation but I can't seem to get more than two re-pitches before it's runny and too risky to use (unhealthy or stuck in suspension). I can't see the Irish Moss being a factor in proper amounts. How's your attenuation? I see a point or two more residual sugars even on my first re-pitch. I've started using less dry yeast initially (100G per 200L vs 124G per 200L Dry) and only running two-three gens. Re-pitching 800-1000 ML of yeast slurry depending on the thickness (Mr. Malty calls for 700ml). Harvesting it always at 65 F.

2 Questions. Are you able to aerate your wort? That should help! In my case a lack of the ability to aerate causes my suspected yeast health issues. Over-pitching and under-pitching both bad of course.

Are you bringing the temp down a bit before trying to harvest? I would say 55 F or 12 C for 24 hrs should help it to drop out a bit if you're not dry hopping and not terrified of diacetyl like me and am forced to get what I can at 65f on day 7. (cone to cone)
      Leigh Davison
      Head Brewer, Partner & Beer Alchemist @ Schoolhouse Brewery
      Windsor, Nova Scotia
      "The Beer with Class"

Comment

Irish moss shouldn't affect flocculation, since only a very small amount should be getting into the fermenter, if any. My guess is it's a temperature or pressure issue. If the last 3-4 weeks have been warmer than it has been earlier, that might explain it. I've always lowered the temperature of the beer to as close to freezing as possible once the gravity has stopped dropping. Yeast that hasn't dropped much in temperature, 45 F or above in my experience, is typically runnier. I like to pitch 24-72 hours after lowering the temperature. This will make sure the yeast is still alive and healthy, but has time to create a good pack in the cone of the fermenter. Yeast is also a good insulator, so it won't chill as quickly as the beer. If your area is warmer than it has been, and your chilling system is struggling to keep up with the chilling load, this may be the cuplrit.

I've also noticed that keeping head pressure on the tank helps push yeast into the cone, firming the yeast pack, and helps add or maintain carbonation to the finished beer.

Comment

I have had good luck calling White labs and discussing my yeast problems.
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

Is it possible you've selected for non-flocculent yeast for the last few repitches?

Dump the first trub laden bit, take the good stuff in the middle, dump the non-flocculent stuff on top.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. This issue happened with fresh new yeast. I did contact whitelabs and they sent me a replacement bag. The new yeast is back to normal. I still think this issue was weird. Not sure what happened and that urks me lol.

Cheers,

Sean Goddard
              Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by WWSean View Post
                Thanks for all the info. This issue happened with fresh new yeast. I did contact whitelabs and they sent me a replacement bag. The new yeast is back to normal. I still think this issue was weird. Not sure what happened and that urks me lol.

I had this exact same thing happen with my last wlp002. The very first harvest was runny, as was the 2nd. Calling them right now.
                Dave Cowie
                Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
                X