Opening a Retail Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a Retail Business

I'm on the road to opening a new retail business in Sioux Falls, SD. This type of business will host bottled craft brews from microbreweries/breweries/brewpubs located in the United States. And also to sell equipment and ingredients for the home-brewing enthusiast.

My main concern is to get the beers. There is a distributor here that specializes in the popular domestics (Bud, Millers, Corona, etc) which I won't even bother to sell as there are 60 other locations in Sioux Falls that sells these domestics. There is an Old Chicago restaurant located here as well so I know it's possible to get a wide variety of USA brews.

But how do I go about the research when the business plan hasn't even been established yet? Will distributors be willing to share a ballpark range of select brews, even from Washington or South California or even Alaska? Is it looked down upon when a retail business has contracts with different distributors to acquire the diversity that is desired?

Thanks for your answers!

Any and every distributor in your area will be interested in at least discussing selling you beer! That's what they do, and I've never heard of any of them being the exclusive suppliers to a bar or store. I'd bet the bar manager at Old Chicago would probably tell you who all the local distributors are that carry craft beer....

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Once you start talking with your distributors you'll find that they have access to a much broader selection than you anticipated.

On your decision not to carry the major brands, I would suggest stocking them. They make up 64% of the beer consumed in the US and not having them available will dramatically limit the appeal of your shop. Once you get them in the door to buy Bud Light you can introduce them to the rest of the world of beer and win yourself a lifelong customer.
      Owner
      Grind Modern Burger
      PostModern Brewers
      Boise, ID

Comment

Not having BMC might shut you out of alot of sales for companies they have distribution deals with as well, don't burn me if some of these companies are out of the loop of the big brewery distribution, but I think companies like Windmer, Goose Island, Redhook, Leinenkugel's, Blue Moon, etc...all have deals to be distributed by the big 3...so you might be missing out there depending on the deals set up for your area.

Sales are sales, and in business you can't pass on anything that can help keep your doors open.
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Put the big brands at the back so they have to walk past everything else to get to them. Like milk in the Super market.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X