Brewery Layout Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCarolinian View Post
    Novel approach, but I think something like this should get you up to code: 120 Minute Fire Rated Glass Curtain Walls Expensive, yes? But damn worth it. They will look gorgeous, last forever, and keep you in code.
    Great find! That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
      Set up a closed circuit TV system with 80" LCD monitors in the tasting room so your guests can watch what is going on in the brewery. Now no worries! ;-)
      We would never get any work done because we'd be staging saucy puppet shows for the taproom.
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I can see it happening... And worse....

But, at least you could shut down the feed if need be...

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
          We would never get any work done because we'd be staging saucy puppet shows for the taproom.
          this comment almost made me spout hot tea from my nose.

Well played, sir, well played golf clap

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
            That is a truly brilliant idea.

On a more serious note - You may want to move your 2 serving tanks closer together - It'll make running lines for filling and cleaning easier, and it gives you more space along the wall to the bar for your tap system and kegs you're serving from.
            Depending on how much beer you plan on doing in kegs I'd suggest getting a jacketed brite tank as well - its much more pleasant to be filling kegs when you're not standing in the fridge the entire time. Plus it can then go by your drains for cleaning.
            Single wall serving tanks are great for when you're selling lots of beer in the taproom, the more you're doing in package (keg or otherwise) the more sense jacketed brite tanks make.
            Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
              That is a truly brilliant idea.

On a more serious note - You may want to move your 2 serving tanks closer together - It'll make running lines for filling and cleaning easier, and it gives you more space along the wall to the bar for your tap system and kegs you're serving from.
              Depending on how much beer you plan on doing in kegs I'd suggest getting a jacketed brite tank as well - its much more pleasant to be filling kegs when you're not standing in the fridge the entire time. Plus it can then go by your drains for cleaning.
              Single wall serving tanks are great for when you're selling lots of beer in the taproom, the more you're doing in package (keg or otherwise) the more sense jacketed brite tanks make.
              That's a good idea. I just popped then into the floor plan to see how much working space we'd have in there, but will make sure that they live a little closer to each other. I'm already dreading long periods in the cooler filling kegs. We do plan on using kegs only to serve from since we'll be both handling on-site sales as well as pushing out to a distributor. I feel this method will keep our inventory more flexible rather than slow-moving beers tying up tanks.

We purchased a used setup that came with the single-wall brites, so we're trying to utilize them. If they end up being a royal pain to package from, they'll probably end up being used as serving tanks or listed on here for sale.

Is it better to use shorter lines/hoses when kegging from a brite tank? If not, we could always get a really long hose and fill kegs outside of the cooler. I wasn't sure if there was any kind of issue with foaming due to the longer run. At least the majority of the kegging hose would still be in the cooler at the appropriate temperature.

I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

CO2 Tank Placement

I have a related question I thought I would try here rather than start a new thread. I am also planning. Is there any reason to place the following items outside vs inside the building: 550lbs CO2 tank, glycol chiller, and/or boiler? I see some outside and some inside, what do I need to consider when deciding? Ambient heat? Code? Aesthetics? Safety? Thanks for any advice. Beer!

Comment

Space would be the only issue I could think of, as long as the brewery has CO2 sensors and some automatic ventilation...

Comment

Final drawings?

Hi guys!

Just came across this post from 2015, how did it turn out? What would you have done differently?
                    What kind of ceiling height do you have?

Comment

Here is a fun link giving you a really good idea of the interior as it currently stands:
                      http://sphereshare.net/#!/s/3be2f1e5...f810c16269a076.

Wow I bet one of the guys I am working with at present had such a simple space to work with (so do I for that matter)

A bit late to the party as I have had trouble getting access to this site for some reason.
                      dick

Comment

"I'm not too worried about employees using the same bathroom as the guests. Perhaps my thinking is a little naive, but we'd be looking at 1-2 bartenders with 1-2 production for the first phase. "

I realise this is probably far too late to change anything, but I would always keep the brewers at least separate from the customers - you really don't want dusty, wet, possibly somewhat dirty employees walking malt grains / yeast into the customers bar and making the toilet facilities grubby - with the best will in the world, it is going to happen.
                        dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
                          "I'm not too worried about employees using the same bathroom as the guests. Perhaps my thinking is a little naive, but we'd be looking at 1-2 bartenders with 1-2 production for the first phase. "

I realise this is probably far too late to change anything, but I would always keep the brewers at least separate from the customers - you really don't want dusty, wet, possibly somewhat dirty employees walking malt grains / yeast into the customers bar and making the toilet facilities grubby - with the best will in the world, it is going to happen.
                          I'm with Dick on this one, but for opposite reasons. The last thing I want is to run in to take a dump during my 15 min window and A) find it occupied or B) find drunk man piss all over the seat. Luckily for me I am the type who likes to brew early in the morning.

Comment

Working Well So Far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Initial-Brewery-Layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	191639

We've been open for almost 7 months now and I've been pleased with the layout so far.

I tried to set up the entire brewery area to be run easily by one person. So far, it's just me in back and probably will be for awhile. Things like having the grain mill elevated and lifting the grains up with a fork lift makes milling quite a bit easier. It also reduced the need for a second auger from the mill to the grist case.

The large cooler (500 sq/ft) has been nice. It holds quite a bit of beer, I can stack pallets three high, and can comfortably maneuver in and out with a pallet jack. I use the single-wall brites for carbonating and kegging into 50L and sixtel kegs. We'd be maxed out on cooler space already if we weren't distributing. Thankfully, that keeps things moving.

The light gray tanks are what I'd like to do in the future. Additional plans also call for a small canning line in a year or so, most likely from ABE here in Lincoln. They have a 4 head unit that is on wheels and seems to be a good entry point for package. That would live directly across the drain from the 15 bbl fermenters and moved out of place when not in use. Can storage will be a problem. I'm already eating up a bunch of space on dirty empty kegs.

All-in-all, I don't think I'd change anything. The bathroom thing is a non-issue. Yes, from time to time I have to use the bathroom when I'm gross and sweaty and we're open. More often than not, people see that I'm the brewer and want to talk to me about beer rather than be disgusted that I'm using their bathroom. Plus, I'm able to make sure our employees are keeping them clean!

Comment

Working...
                            X