No announcement yet.

Who are you wearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big fan of RedBack Boots, very similar to the Blundstone. I oil them up every couple weeks and they do a fine job of keeping the feet dry, the soles are like walking on air and hold up well in the brewery. I've had this pair over a year and they look basically brand new when oiled. I even dropped acid on them with only a minor surface spotting. Check out this site www.aussiegeardirect.com I've had great success with them and their prices are really cheap.

Cheers
    Dave

Comment

Work boots

Hi Travis, I have been wearing the Bata polyblend work shoes from Koch Supplies(www.kochsupplies.com) for at least 10 years, with arch support insoles for my flat feet. Steel toes, tough, and only $18 a pair. They last me about a year, and have a lower profile than your typical boot. Good Luck!
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Muck Boots rock!
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

We use a brand of boot called "XTRATUFF", I'm not sure who makes them and I had a hard time finding them on the internet. But in Alaska they are sold everywhere and worn more than normal shoes and for brewing I've found they can't be beat. They are soft and flexible and easy on the ankles and shins. On the concrete floors, I still put in a heavy duty pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts to take out the shock of walking around on hard floors, but the boots work great otherwise. I tend to find that the top of the ankle of the boot wears out if you are crouching and climbing around under tanks a lot but otherwise no problems. They also have a great non-slip sole.

Comment

I used to wear pair of firemans boots. They are extremely comfortable and great protection but they are super heavy. The cost is substantial as well.
            Last edited by Wyrdbrew; 07-21-2006, 10:24 AM.
            Travis Miller
            Brattleboro, VT
            On brewing hiatus as a SAHD

Comment

Shoes and socks

I feel rubber boots in a brewery can be dangerous. I once saw a Japanese brewer get his rubber boots filled with boiling wort and decided to set my boots aside.

I like http://shoesforcrews.com/ combined with waterproof socks (membrane - 100% waterproof and breathable porelle membrane) from SealSkinz http://www.sealskinz.com . You can litterally stand in 4 inches of water with these and still have perfectly dry feet.

BelgianBrewer
              Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Travis,
                I'm looking for some new boots too. What did you end up buying? Do you like them?
                Hutch Kugeman
                Head Brewer
                Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Servus Products.

The best, most comfortable Brewers Rubber Boots I have ever used are Servus. Check out the website at:

www.servusproducts.com

These have a very comfortable insert and are not too bulky.

For day to day work not requiring rubber boots you just can't beat Doctor Martin's Work line for comfort and durability! Mine have steel toes and I can walk through puddles of caustic and acid with no issues.
                  Steve G

Comment

My fave

These are expensive, but so worth it. They have been my favorites for a long time. They are comfortable, VERY flexible, and provide protection high up the calf. They fit snug around your calf preventing any 'oops just sprayed water into my shoe'... saw it happen with a hose from hot liquor tank.. very ugly... These would have prevented that...

Shop Gemplers for your landscaping, growing, safety supplies, clothing, footwear and pest control needs. Gemplers is a small, family-owned business based in Wisconsin and serving folks who work outdoors across the U.S.A. since 1939. We’re dedicated to always treating you like a neighbor and not a number.

Comment

Thanks Bham! I've been wearing these boots for 7 months now....LOVE EM'..PERFECT..Highly recommended. Gemplers was a fine retailer to buy them also. I have foot issues previous to my brewing dayzzz. IE any of you wide feet folks these work. American made...flexible and tough for sure.

Originally posted by Bham Brewer
                      These are expensive, but so worth it. They have been my favorites for a long time. They are comfortable, VERY flexible, and provide protection high up the calf. They fit snug around your calf preventing any 'oops just sprayed water into my shoe'... saw it happen with a hose from hot liquor tank.. very ugly... These would have prevented that...

http://www.gemplers.com/safety/perso...ts/G32227.html
                      Last edited by SRB; 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I think you've got a lot of good suggestions for brewery footwear. It was a good question and it will help a lot of brewery workers.

Concerning Cal Ripken, playing all those consecutive games was an amazing feet. I read somewhere that he refused to wear regular baseball cleats. Instead, he wore ballet slippers while playing. He was loved by the press and they never pictured him below the knees.

Comment

Originally posted by BelgianBrewer
                          I feel rubber boots in a brewery can be dangerous. I once saw a Japanese brewer get his rubber boots filled with boiling wort and decided to set my boots aside.
                          I know this is an old post, but...

It's much safer to wear your trouser legs on the OUTSIDE of your gumboots. It looks dicky and your pants get soggy and sometimes boots are just too big for your pants leg, but it can save you from a world of pain.

Comment

ive only experienced two of these boosts...the Graingers is the company standard here...they are nice i like them...but definitely invest in some in soles. the pair i have right now have lasted 8 months of forty hour weeks running constantly, they can still go longer but both feet have a crack near the top of the foot...typically doesn't cause problems but im going to replace them for extra protection (boiling water)

ive also seen a few co-workers switch to the Gemmlers, they swear by them, but still always complain about foot ache, and they slip so many times i swear im watching Penguin bloopers.. i will not be making the switch

Comment

I like to go with cheap boots and expensive insoles. I have been using these https://www.bunzlpd.com/product.php?...=990010&page=1 They are cheap and functional, but they need insoles.

Dr. Scholls are decent, but if you go to a podiatrist and get custom insoles made, you will never look back. They are expensive but they are 1000 times better than the cut-to-fit gel insoles and they last forever. Plus you can put them in even the cheapest boot and turn it into something you can stand in all day long.

Comment

Muck boot

Muck boot Chores, Only pair Ive used for wet and wearing for long periods of time, but very comfortable and warm when needed, not overly warm in the summer. A little on the doppy side but great so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X