Who are you wearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boots

I've worn XtraTuf boots since I worked in Alaska and still swear by them. I have only been able to find them at McMaster-Carr out here. Look for neoprene boots. The tops can be rolled down around the ankle for comfort.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
    James Ray
    Railyard Brewing Co.
    Montgomery, AL

Comment

I have found Servus steel-toe wellies are comfortable enough to wear all day (with good socks). They also have great traction.

Roger Greene

Comment

I have used Baffin Boots for many years. They have gel injected into the heel of the boot and there is also a gel layer between the sole and the boot. They are very comfortable. Baffin made boots for the oil industry so they are also built very well. The first pair I found was at REI of all places. I hope this helps.

Comment

Xtratuf boot update:
          FAIL! So bummed......I LOVE the comfort of these boots! LOVE. But 1.5 years in service and the main crease point on the top of the boot, at the ankle joint has developed a water leaking tear! Also, one boot in particular (I imagine a right handed issue, ie hose etc getting dragged on that side of body predominately) has lots of scuffing that has exposed underlying layers beneath brown neoprene. This has not caused leaking and I am actually not concerned about it, but it has caught my attention.

Gempler's and the manufacturer have a 1 year warranty so SOL for me.
          Lot o' coin to drop on a boot that can fail so quickly.
          I have nerve issues in my feet that demand a comfortable boot, and the tuf's super flexible neoprene were so great for that, but damn.

Comment

I think I may have found my new favorite brewhouse boots. They are waterproof, ankle-high boots by Carhartt. So far, I love 'em but I'll continue the torture test and let the forum know (hmmmmm, maybe I could get a sponsorship from Carhartt?)
            Prost!
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
              Xtratuf boot update:

Lot o' coin to drop on a boot that can fail so quickly.
              I have nerve issues in my feet that demand a comfortable boot, and the tuf's super flexible neoprene were so great for that, but damn.

A year and a half is 'quickly'??? I go through about three pairs of boots a year. I prefer rubbers. I think Schmogger got it right with the Baffins. They also make a sole designed specifically for wet environments which works great - the boot model is called 'Grippers'. I think you can get them through acklands-grainger.

I had a pair of boots last about a year once but from the stink, you'd have thought they were alive. Don't know what happened to those boots. Perhaps they walked out on their own.

Pax.

Liam
              Last edited by liammckenna; 05-24-2011, 03:38 AM.
              Liam McKenna
              www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
                A year and a half is 'quickly'??? I go through about three pairs of boots a year............
                wow! That just made my drained bank account jiggle and shake for loose change.

These xtratufs are "known" to last 5+ seasons on Alaska crabbing boats.
                They don't deal with chemicals and heat, but from the episodes of Deadliest Catch I have watched,and talking with friends who have crabbed, it is a brutal environment. IE if a boot can last that long there why not in my brewery?

Comment

The heat mainly, I guess.

After about four months, boots and I generally need to part company.

Gold Bond foot powder helps.

It eventually loses out though

Perhaps it's just my foot 'flora', and not everyones.

I must say, I don't mind spending $80 three times a year to protect my feet and ensure I have good frictional contact with the surface I'm walking on.

I used to.

After more than a few bouts of physio for various twists and sprains over the first 10 years of my 25 years in brewing now, my perspective changed.

More frequent new boots are cheaper. Especially if you, like me, prefer rubbers.

While this thread is informative and entertaining, I cannot overemphasize the importance of good, comfortable, protective, supportive footwear with good grip.

Boots (especially soles) don't last forever.

In our place, it is our policy that you must always have effective non-slip shoes if you are employed here. No high heels either.

We are only a sizeable brewpub but the rule refers to the staff in the kitchen, FOH, brewery, maintenance, janitorial.. basically everyone.

The litigious nature of our society requires such a policy and it should be policed and enforced.

For everyones protection.

Pax.

Liam
                  Liam McKenna
                  www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

My "Timberland Pro Titan XL" leather boots are about 2 years old now and still going strong. Slip resistant, oil resistant, Chem resistant, water-proof, Steel-toe, Nylon shanks & leather uppers < $130.00 and very comfortable to-boot (oh yes I did).

My old pair of Timberland Pro's (3.5 years now) smell like an old grain can but are great backup boots and are still waterproof. The black abrasion resistant toe caps prevent the typical splitting at the sole too.

Oh, and the "high heels" on these boots save my ass on a regular baisis as i can lock the heel onto the slick SS cheese grader steps when decending from the Brewhouse Platform. I personally wouldn't even consider boots that did not have heels on them. But that's me.

My 2 year Timberlands:
                    I know, they need some oil...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Boots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	189716
                    Last edited by Jephro; 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM.
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

My boots last me a minimum of six months, depending on the make. They would last a lot longer if they got hosed off at the end of every shift and polished once a week, but they don't.

If you think about it, a brewery is a pretty damned inhospitable environment for a pair of boots. As well as hot liquor and caustic, beer and (especially) wort are not friendly to leather, as the sugars provide a nice substrate for rot. And that's on top of being just plain wet all day.

My boots always go first by developing cracks in the leather by the toe joint. Then it's a race between buying new ones and spilling something hot on one's foot.

I've also learned the importance of a pair of good-fitting boots after developing a metatarsal stress fracture in my left foot; the product of only ever working in jobs that involve feet, concrete floors and sometimes less than ideal footwear.

Comment

Worx model no. 5803 by Redwing. Cordura nylon that caustic can't eat. Good sole for concrete. Safety toe, steel shank, great construction. A pair of these and some kevlar boot laces are my favorites.

Comment

Just bumping this thread to get some updated info from the community.

I'm just finishing up another 6 months and another search for boots.

Back in February, I bought a pair of Wolverine Swamp Monster 10" Pull-On Wellington boots. They were great for the time they lasted. Things I need in a boot. For sure water-proof-ness. The pull-on was nice, my morning routine down to a speedy few minutes without the need to lace up my boots. But most importantly was the availability of wide sizes. With my feet, narrow boots always blow out the sides around the balls of my feet.

Anyway, for 80 bucks, I'm considering getting another pair, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found a magic cure-all for getting boots to last more than 6 months.

Comment

I'm on the hunt for some new boots too. My steel-toed Muck Boots were great, until they weren't. Little cracks on the top of the boot let enough liquid in to get pretty moist socks by the end of the day. You'd think there would be a definitive brewer's boot, but I guess each foot is different.
                            Troy Robinson
                            Quirk Brewing
                            Walla Walla

Comment

These are the best I've found:
                              Clean up easily with our super-light, 12 inch water-resistant soft toe boot. Tread safely in our exclusive SFC Mighty Grip slip-resistant outsole.

They're not steel-toe which is the only drawback, but I've had mine for almost two years now with very little wear showing. There very non-slip and very comfortable and light. They're kind of like croc boots. If they made these with a steel-toe, they would be the best brewer boots ever. Very cheap as well!
                              Scott Isham
                              Harper's Brewpub

Comment

no more rubber

I too have tired of uncomfortable, ill fitting rubber boots. Just recently I have taken to wearing my $200 Salomon hiking boots in the brewery. The most comfortable boots I've ever owned and 100% waterproof. Never wet, never tiring to wear.

-Kev

Comment

Working...
                                X