Cleaning blow-off tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning blow-off tubes?

We've got 20hl fermenters with big plastic blow-off tubes coming down from the top into a bucket of water on the floor. Our blow-off tubes are dirty inside from krausen which sometimes comes out (a vigorous top-cropping yeast can make a big mess). What's a good way to clean them?

Carboy brush

Depends on the diameter and length of your tubes. I use 1.5" tubing for blowoff and a straightened out carboy brush fits snugly. I can reach over halfway down either end with it so I'm confident I am getting a thorough cleaning.

Comment

Mine are similar diameter but they are about 14 feet long, too long for a brush!

Comment

Get a roll of heavy wire (the stuff sold for hanging suspended ceilings at any large hardware store). Soak the hose in alkaline cleaner for 10-20 minutes and then use a length of wire to pull a rag, folded sponge, or sponge ball through the tube to scrub it out.

Comment

when you are finished running caustic on the tank, hook the dirty blowoff hose to the bottom of the tank and let the hot caustic drain out of the tank and through the hose. You can repeat on the acid cycle if you wish. This gets our blowoffs squeaky clean every time with no manual scrubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
            when you are finished running caustic on the tank, hook the dirty blowoff hose to the bottom of the tank and let the hot caustic drain out of the tank and through the hose. You can repeat on the acid cycle if you wish. This gets our blowoffs squeaky clean every time with no manual scrubbing.
            That is what I do when I need to, does the job great. However, I have been using BIRKO's Patcote as both a kettle and fermenter anti-foam. Works like a champ, no krausen blow out (doesn't even hit the dome at all 99% of the time), and tank clean is a bit quicker. No adverse effects in the finished beer.

Comment

Thanks guys, there's a couple of great ideas there :-)

Comment

Working...
              X