Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brewery in Oakland, CA looking for a place to dispose of spent grains

Hi All,

We are having the hardest time getting rid of our spent grain. We are a small brewery (3-4BBL system) but even a single batch of spent grain won't be picked up by our local waste management service due to a weight limit. I've called around to a few farmers, but they are already at their limit from other breweries. Anyone in the East Bay (Bay Area) have any good recommendations or sources for us? I assumed this would be a simple problem, but it is turning out to be a struggle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--Brian.

spent grains

Have you looked into ethanol producers and commercial composters?

Tesoro has a ethanol production facility in the area and there were previously some groups setting up remote "still systems" to cut shipping costs of raw materials.

When I was at the ADI conference this year there was also a recycling conference going on and I was impressed with the advances in collection and composting business models. CRRA http://www.crra.com (California Resource Recovery Assoc.) would possibly have the path to the solution you're looking for.

Comment

I reached out to a local bio fuel place, but no luck so far. I'll look into the ones you provided as well. Thanks!

Comment

You will probably need a green waste dumpster if you want the local garbage carriers to do the job. Try contacting Black Diamond Brewing, they have a guy with a garbage truck that picks up from them, and I don't think he works for the garbage company. There is also a big composting company in Tracy, not sure how far away they pick up though.

Comment

Silly Newbie comment but...

Down here in SoCal the local backyard chicken farmers fight over spent grains. Have you tried asking around in that community? Or asking them to spread the word?

Comment

Working...
          X