Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generic (Fill in the Blank Style) Keg Collar Approval?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic (Fill in the Blank Style) Keg Collar Approval?

I'm trying to just get one keg collar approved so that I can fill in the style of the beer. I'm running a small brewpub and I will be switching beers out all the time, and don't want to have to get approvals on tens/hundreds of labels. Any advice on how to get this approved? Is it possible?

I sent in this template,

[ATTACH]34331[/ATTACH]

and received back comments on capitalizing "Surgeon General", and type size not being checked per industry circular ###........But, also the following: "EACH PRODUCT'S LABEL MUST BE SUBMITTED ON A SEPARATE LABEL APPLICATION."

I sent the following response to the COLA online help form:

"I don't understand the comment on my label application: "EACH PRODUCT'S LABEL MUST BE SUBMITTED ON A SEPARATE LABEL APPLICATION."

I would like to have a generic keg collar label for printing, and just be able to write in the style. I understand the requirements for putting "ale, lager, beer". I would be happy to add "beer" to the bottom of my label, near the fill in the blank style section if this will take care of the requirement.

I will be brewing rotating variety of beers, and would like not to have to submit hundreds of label applications. "

and received back this:

TTB does not give label approval to generic keg labels. The keg label state all of the mandatory requirements under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA) and the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). To do this, all required information must be stated on the keg collar. Label approval is issued to each product's label as the products are different and may have different requirements.

Is there any way to do a generic keg collar? Can I just put "Ale" on the bottom, since that's all I'll be brewing right now?

Prost!

Steve Llewellyn
    Function Brewing
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Steve Llewellyn
    Function Brewing
    Bloomington, Indiana

You might want to put a "checklist" of styles of the beers you will be packaging most often along one side with the last check a blank spot. This seems to have satisfied the TTD reviewer for the last couple of breweries at which I've worked.

Something like:

__ IPA
    __ Amber Ale
    __ Stout
    __ Blonde Ale
    __ _________

I am not familiar with any situation where a brewery has had to make collars for each style. Seems to depend on whose desk your request lands on and what kind of day they are having....

Good luck- Mike

Comment

With the checkbox/checklist collars, you're supposed to submit one of each checkbox/checklist checked and then again for each specialty you write into the blank. The TTB isn't willing to give implicit approval to every beer you decide to put into the Specialty blank... what would happen if you put 'Cures Cancer Ale' in that blank?

Comment

I realize the labeling rules, and that I can't put extraordinary claims on my labels, nor dirty words, etc. Submitting for every style wastes everyone's time, and my energy when I have to print out four to six collars for every batch; I'm running a 3BBL system, and I expect to be changing styles all the time.

I might try either "___________ Ale" or a checklist system.

Prost!

Steve Llewellyn
        Function Brewing
        Bloomington, Indiana
        Steve Llewellyn
        Function Brewing
        Bloomington, Indiana

Comment

If your styles are not leaving the state then the TTB no longer requires label approval for those items. I don't know what your state has for requirements. TX no longer requires TTB approval if the item is also never leaving the state. We still have to get TABC (TX ABC) approval for any beers that will be leaving the brewery.

Comment

label approval

in michigan we need ttb approval for every beer we sell outside the brewery ie distribute, each brand name needs approval ,ie "sex in a canoe " pale ale
            or Wafarer creme ale
            1 offs we sell only in the tap room do not
            we do use a generic collar with different size kegs to check off but write in the name and style of the beer

Comment

Originally posted by sativen View Post
              Submitting for every style wastes everyone's time, and my energy
              Welcome to the government....

If TTB approval is required for your state (or you cross state lines) then you will have to submit every beer you make individually to them... Then wait the month or so for it to get approved before you are allowed to sell it. Unless it has some ingredient not in the current GRAS list. Then you need to submit a formula and wait 2-3 months for it to be approved THEN you can send in your collar to be approved....
              Scott LaFollette
              Fifty West Brewing Company
              Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Working...
              X