Fermenter controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter controls?

We currently use the Ranco controllers for our tanks to open/close solenoids, but are looking for a simple control panel that will allow us to load all tanks on and be able to access the software through a smartphone. Anyone using something cool they could share? Thanks!

We use the bcs-462 from embedded control concepts. It has a built in Web browser. The only draw back is each controller can only control 8 tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Jon Sheldon
    Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
    Bugnutty Brewing Company
    www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Originally posted by roc-craven View Post
      We use the bcs-462 from embedded control concepts. It has a built in Web browser. The only draw back is each controller can only control 8 tanks.

Jon,

Did you setup your own panels using the BCS? If so, would you be willing to share your panel layout diagram?
      Brandon Besser, P.E.
      "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom" - Gandalf

Comment

Sure. Give me a few days. Our partner(NASA Electrical engineer) that built the control panel is not with us anymore but I can call him to get the layout.

Jon Sheldon
        Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

We also use the BCS Controllers. We use 3 to run our fermenters and brites (10 tanks). I highly recommend them. A really nice trick is to put them on a static IP address with port forwarding so you can connect in from anywhere.
          We used Ryan from Electric Brewing Supply and he was fantastic to work with. Well worth the money to have him build them for you. He did custom low voltage connections for us.
          The final box was really impressive and came preprogrammed and tested with a really good manual specific to our panel.
          ebrewsupply.com

Also a good source for parts if you want to build your own.

Jason
          Living the Dream Brewing
          Littleton, Colorado

Comment

After extensive research and comparing a complete control solution for our brewhouse and cellar we decided to go with ControlTec.

They have cloud based monitoring with user interface as well as a stand alone control panel.

We went as far to monitor our outgoing glycol feed and our cold room.

Dwight is the contact and we are a relatively small customer compared to some of his accounts, but he treated us like a million dollar client and has answered over 100 emails and spent some time with us in making an educated choice.

I can't speak highly enough of the level of customer service and attention to specific needs that Dwight and ControlTec has offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see you guys are using BCS controllers. We're considering that option for our brewery. I have a question I haven't quite figured out the answer to... for the controller, you use the output pins to control a relay, which controls the solenoid valve, correct? Where do you get your relays and/or solenoid valves?

Comment

Originally posted by RBB View Post
                I see you guys are using BCS controllers. We're considering that option for our brewery. I have a question I haven't quite figured out the answer to... for the controller, you use the output pins to control a relay, which controls the solenoid valve, correct? Where do you get your relays and/or solenoid valves?
                The solonoid valves I got off of ebay from Valves for Projects. Just make sure to use low voltage 24Vac to keep your electrical inspector happy. For the SSR's first I went through ebay and got cheap ones but one out of three didn't work. For our last controller setup, I let Ryan and Ebrewsupply.com build it and it was well beyond what I could have done myself for only a little more than just buying the parts.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by jbell71464 View Post
                  The solonoid valves I got off of ebay from Valves for Projects. Just make sure to use low voltage 24Vac to keep your electrical inspector happy. For the SSR's first I went through ebay and got cheap ones but one out of three didn't work. For our last controller setup, I let Ryan and Ebrewsupply.com build it and it was well beyond what I could have done myself for only a little more than just buying the parts.

Hope that helps
                  Thanks for the heads up about electric brew supply. I had seen their brew house controller, but didn't know they would build cellar control panels too. I emailed them and got a very reasonable quote back.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
                  Brandon Besser, P.E.
                  "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom" - Gandalf

Comment

Originally posted by bbesser View Post
                    Thanks for the heads up about electric brew supply. I had seen their brew house controller, but didn't know they would build cellar control panels too. I emailed them and got a very reasonable quote back.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
                    You are welcome. Ryan was really good to work with and his work is really nice

Comment

so below are some more picturesClick image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	191181 of progress on the control panel. I've been slowly working away at it for a week. All the holes were drilled and the hole for the control panel and heatsink were cut. MOst of the guts are arriving within the next week so i'll be able to start wiring soon. Going to prime and paint it this weekend.

Comment

updates?

Originally posted by Salamence View Post
                        so below are some more pictures[ATTACH]37873[/ATTACH] of progress on the control panel. I've been slowly working away at it for a week. All the holes were drilled and the hole for the control panel and heatsink were cut. MOst of the guts are arriving within the next week so i'll be able to start wiring soon. Going to prime and paint it this weekend.
                        Any updates and wiring, parts list etc on this your project. We would like to build our own too.

Comment

Working...
                        X