BBT and CO2 at max capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBT and CO2 at max capacity

I have a 2bbl Brite Tank which I have typically only filled to 63 gallons. The "fill" capacity of the tank is supposed to be 68 gallons which leaves some head space. I made a recent batch and filled the tank to 68 gallons to accommodate and additional 1/6 bbl keg. I am having difficulty get the tank to carbonate using my previous methods. I do not currently have a flow meter (but will be adding one in the near future). My process that has been working is put 10psi of head pressure into the tank and then carbonate at 22 PSI until I reach my desired carbonation. I can't seem to get the current batch to take carbonation under the same method.

Is this due to lack of head space? Should I try a bleeding method just to get this batch processed? I have had consistent results using the previous method for a few years. (I probably shouldn't have changed what was working but did)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

22psi is a very large difference to start with. Try starting at 15 psi, letting the tank go until no more co2 is flowing, then increase the pressure a few psi at a time until you reach the desired carbonation. The likely problem is that you are getting a lot of co2 that is not dissolving as it moves through the beer, and since your headspace is smaller, it comes up to equilibrium pressure much faster.

Comment

After hours of pulling my hair out I figured out my issue.... Perhaps this should be moved to "Stupid Stuff Q & A"..

I had purchased a nice new pressure washer for the house and decided to see how it would work on my brite tank after my last batch. I seem to remember using the pressure washer on my carbonation stone....

Needless to say, I pulled the stone from the tank and tested it in a bucket of water only to find that it had about a pencil width portion that still functioned.. I replaced the stone and the problem has been solved..

So... Let my pain be your lesson. Sad to say that I knew better.....

Comment

Originally posted by nosdunk View Post
        After hours of pulling my hair out I figured out my issue.... Perhaps this should be moved to "Stupid Stuff Q & A"..

I had purchased a nice new pressure washer for the house and decided to see how it would work on my brite tank after my last batch. I seem to remember using the pressure washer on my carbonation stone....

Needless to say, I pulled the stone from the tank and tested it in a bucket of water only to find that it had about a pencil width portion that still functioned.. I replaced the stone and the problem has been solved..

So... Let my pain be your lesson. Sad to say that I knew better.....
        If your carb stone is blocked, try soaking it in a phase/nitric acid solution. I have had success with this, if that isn't enough, try some caustic. What is your standard cleaning procedure for your stone?

Comment

I normally would do a caustic rinse followed by an acid rinse.

Comment

Working...
          X