Use a T in the Serving Tank sample port instead of racking arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a T in the Serving Tank sample port instead of racking arm

I recently added 2 BTs to my brewpub walk-in and had them fitted with racking arms. The reason being is that after transferring/carbonating, and using biofine, I have clear beer w/in 24 hrs ready to send to the taps well above the bottom port typically used for dumping the mung/sending to the taps. It usually takes 2-3 days to get all the mung to efficiently settle for bottom dumping.

I was tempted to add racking arms to the other 4 BTs when it occurred to me that since, 24 hours later, the beer is typically clear at the sample valve level, verified thru my pigtail, I thought why don't I just put a T on the sample port, attach the perlick sample valve on one side, a BF on the other, and send that side to the taps? A few days later, at my leisure, I could dump the more solidified mung from biofining. Am I missing something obvious here? Can anyone see any problem with this setup? Or are people already doing this?

Thanks,
    Last edited by barleyfreak; 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM.
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

You'll have to blow some beer through before you get clear beer--some of that "mung" will settle into the horizontal surfaces of the T. A 90, pointed down, would work better.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We don't use a tee....

Our standard procedure for filling clean tanks is to use a BF valve in lieu of sample valve. You may always put a sample on the butterfly, or rack from there, or recirculate to mix your fining agent, or whatever. Why limit yourself to independent ports?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        Our standard procedure for filling clean tanks is to use a BF valve in lieu of sample valve. You may always put a sample on the butterfly, or rack from there, or recirculate to mix your fining agent, or whatever. Why limit yourself to independent ports?
        Thanks Phillip. That makes a ton of sense.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
        X