Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro start up question

Hello all,

I have been homebrewing for over ten years and thinking of opening a microbrewery. I have an area picked out and have been looking at buildings.

Here's the question (just the first of many, I'm sure) :

Do I need to have a building in order to submit my ttb forms, or will I just be wasting time as I would have to go back and re-submit diagrams and such to fit a particular space?

Also, it may be a year or so before I actually open, is it too soon to think about all this?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    practicalpants

Hello,

Yes, you need the actual physical brewery address for the TTB, and most likely your state LLC as well. Both the TTB and your state will most likely be able to give you approval within three to six months (Knock on wood!). Your build out can easily take as long or longer. I started filing my forms as soon as I signed an intent to lease on my current building (the actual lease started in a few months later).

Cheers
    Ron
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

that's what I was afraid of...

Thanks for responding Ron. I figured as much, but it never hurts to ask.
      I'm considering buying a building that is twice (or more) the size of what I need and leasing the rest out as commercial space...any thoughts?

cheers,
      practicalpants

Comment

Originally posted by practicalpants
        Thanks for responding Ron. I figured as much, but it never hurts to ask.
        I'm considering buying a building that is twice (or more) the size of what I need and leasing the rest out as commercial space...any thoughts?

cheers,
        practicalpants
        Hey there practial, similar boat as you...except going brewpub. I am working for a micro now though, doing sales and assistant brewing slavework and such, as I wanted to have a good idea what I'm getting myself into before I mortgage the farm and sell my first born kid to the gypsies!

I started my 'micro brewing education' about 18 months ago. I'm still 10 months from my anticipated opening date - with entirely too much still undone. You'll probably find that your one year isn't enough time if you just got started on the process.

As to your properties, I'd find some interested parties who might want the space before I went that route...no sense in paying for space you won't need if you can't find anyone to sub-lease it from you.

Also, keep in mind you might want some of that space for a tasting room of some kind, and if the area of the properties you are looking at is busy, even a small kitchen for events, etc...

I remember going to Atlanta Brewing Company's 'tasting room event' awhile back, and found that despite their poor location for nightlife, etc...they drew over 200 people, had a live band, and an open house brewery tour...was pretty insane, people just wandering around the brewery and warehouse drinking beer, talking, etc...

Great way to drum up some interest in your brand/beers and a little bit of $$ for sure....
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

space is so spatial.....

Hey Jason, thanks for responding. The real problem with the area I have picked is that it is an older area of a fairly built-up city and there are few options as far as buildings go. However, my choices seem to be either go small and never have room to expand or go big and lease to others. I do have a tap room planned, but not a huge one.
          I figure if I can use 1/3 or so of this huge building to get started, then by the time I am ready to expand, somebody's lease will be up, or I'll just wait them out.
          I also figured that leasing out part of the building will be a good way to make some money while waiting for my ttb, state and city forms to be approved. Since I need to have a building anyway, why not take out a huge loan and go big? It would give me time for my build out while not losing a ton of money.
          Also, yeah, I know I'm probably more than a year away, but I'm trying to be optomistic.

cheers,
          practicalpants

Comment

Working...
          X