Spent grain compactor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent grain compactor?

I am wondering if anyone has built a spent grain compactor to reduce the weight and volume of spent grain and make handling easier? I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy, just a lauter tun-ish vessel with a hydraulic plunger on top of it. Most of the weight and volume of the grain will just go right down the drain. I've never seen one so I know there must be something wrong with the idea, but I'm wondering: why not?

209 views and no replies???

Comment

Screw press

Try a screw press. They remove the water, leave dryish cake.

http://www.vincentcorp.com/

Comment

Why?

My best reply is this is a solution in search of a problem. You're adding equipment, payroll, permanent floorspace and maintenance to a process that, while not effortless, pretty much handles itself once it's out if the mash tun.

Comment

Flottweg make, or at least, used to make, mesh belt driers that dried down to about 40% moisture - OK for supposedly economical spent grains burning. However, it didn't compress into bales or similar afterwards (in theory we were going to blow it into a silo which to feed a spent grains fuelled CHP). I guess you could use something like a hop baler for packaging into transportable bales.

But as has already been asked - why? The effluent discharge has / had in the units we trialled, a horrendously high COD and SS, which would have to be dealt with as well as the rest of the mess of spent grains.
          dick

Comment

Several distillers here in Kentucky use heat reclaimed from their boiler's stack to dry their spent grain. We are talking full tractor trailers of grain multiple times a day, and very large boilers.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
            X