leaking fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking fermenter

We received a new 80 bbl unitank fermenter from a canadian manufacturer in July. It is jacketed, insulated, and clad. The tank leaks five gallons of beer per day out of the bottom of the cone. The manufacturer thinks it is leaking from the sample valve weld, thermowell weld, or the racking arm weld and proposes to come to the brewery, find the faulty weld, and fix it on site.

our concern is that the beer that has leaked and contacted the insulation might create mold and/or sanitary issues. My preference would be the manufacturer remove the cladding, check and replace the insulation as necessary and re-clad. Obviously, this would be more work. The manufacturer claims that because the insulation is close-cell, there will not be any mold risk.

thoughts?

thanks,

sam

I've had this happen to an fv and our kettle. Ours could drain after we removed some caulking though. Biggest issue we had was the insulation became useless.

Comment

If the weep hole is at the lowest point on the cone you are fine. If the beer has filled the cone and is weeping from a leg or elsewhere you have some issues. If there is not a weep hole drill a small hole in the lowest point you can on the cone cladding and let all the liquid run out. Let it dry out for some time, fix the leak, the insulation will be fine. I have had to cut cladding off after several leaks and have yet to see much in the way of any growth in the insulation. Most of the time the beer takes the most direct route to an exit. When there is no weep hole to exit the beer will get nasty, but even then once the insulation dries it will still perform just fine. Just my opinion do with it as you will.
      The last time I had a leak it was so small I had to seal the weep hole and weld a pressure fitting on the cladding and put low pressure on the cladding to find a the leak on a 20 year old tank. Think of spending an hour inside a tank, just you, a spray bottle and a leak so small you would need a microscope to find. Every seam and dimple got sprayed twice before finding it. Turned out to be right above the manway.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by redlodge.sam View Post
        new 80 bbl unitank fermenter leaks
        thoughts?

thanks,

sam
        ask them to deliver a new one, take the old one back and compensate you for the lost batch of beer. If they refuse, shame them on this public forum.

This is unacceptable and not your problem.

Think about it, if you sent out a defective keg to a licensee, you would replace it and make an effort to make things right.

Comment

Working...
        X