Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Package Oxygen

Hi there,

We just recently bought an Anton-Paar CboxQC and the PFD filling device for checking DO/CO2 levels in our cans. I'm pretty new to all of this so please excuse my ignorance. I've search this forum for TPO and DO levels in packaged beer. I'm trying to work out how to calculate my TPO in our cans etc.

I've taken cans straight of the canning line, shake them for 3min and do a reading, getting my DO reading in the average of 45ppb. What other readings should I take?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

All the figures (shaken DO2, unshaken DO2, etc) as well as TPO are important factors in understanding your beer and processes.

Whilst the latter is the TOTAL amount of oxygen present in a package, knowing where this has come from is the key to process control, improvement and quick identification of any problems.

An unshaken sample will give you the baseline figure to compare everything else to; this is a good measure of the incoming product, so any changes from this will be from somewhere within the packaging process itself.

Whilst, as the articles mention, a shaken, equilibrated DO2 isn't the same as TPO, it is an accurate measure of any change caused during packaging. A significant increase between unshaken and shaken samples should direct you to examining this area for the cause.

As the third article shows, TPO is basically a multiplication of the shaken DO2 figure, usually around 2.2 - 2.5 times, based on a typical 5% headspace volume.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thank you for that,

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X