Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing yield of hoppy beers

Hi all,

wondering if anyone had tips for getting the most volume out of out hoppy beers. We typically lose up to 20% of our brewed volume, something I'd like to halve if possible! Here is our typical process after fermentation and dumping of yeast:

1. Dry Hop
    2. recirc overnight
    3. crash cool to 2C (about 35F)
    4. dump majority of hops about 8 to 24 hours after taking off recirc to avoid blockage
    5. dump hops once a day 2 or 3 times in preparation for filtering
    6. DE filter with 5 micron cartridge filter afterwards in line.
    7. carb

any advice on techniques, hop dumping, fining that particularly do well in getting hops to drop out, especially if we're rushed for time, would be well appreciated.

Cheers!

Whirlpool vessel is your best bet.

Comment

Save up for a centrifuge
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Thanks for your input guys - but the boss is looking for something a little less costly than a centrifuge. Any other tips?

Comment

Originally posted by DVB View Post
          Whirlpool vessel is your best bet.
          by whirlpool vessel do you mean a centrifuge?

Comment

Do not over look increasing yield on the side. We recently decided to drop the abv of our ipa slightly resulting in being able to run an additional barrel into the kettle and at the same time cut a small amount of grain out. In addition we discovered we could get another 1/2bbl out of the kettle by simply extending the post whirlpool rest a little. This also made double brew day timing mush easier to work with coincidentally. The cold side is another story, not much there to do other than centrifuge or maybe not filter. Moving beer always creates loss.

Comment

I don't understand filtering an IPA, I'm sure your customers would like the beer better if it wasn't filtered, and you'd also save a significant amount of beer, and time setting up and tearing down the filter.
              Last edited by Junkyard; 09-18-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                I don't understand filtering and IPA, I'm sure your customers would like the beer better if it wasn't filtered, and you'd also save a significant amount of beer, and time setting up and tearing down the filter.
                I completely disagree.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island Brewing
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
                X