Anchor Ferms to the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Ferms to the floor

So we are standing up our ferms soon! I've figured out how to hoist and maneuver them into place but I'm still unsure how we level them and anchor them to the floor. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Both wood and plastic leveling shims could be used under the feet of the tank to get them level. Tanks can be anchored to the slab with Hilti or Simpson expansion or screw anchors. Since seismic forces and existing slab conditions determine the size of the anchor, I would suggest consulting with a structural engineer in you area to determine the anchorage requirements, especially if the city may want to see proof that the anchors and loading meet IBC requirements.
    Brandon Besser, P.E.
    "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom" - Gandalf

Comment

Do your tanks not have feet on them? Every tank I have had comes with adjustable feet to level the tank. Anchoring, depending on your municipality will need to be engineered, and inspected. Out here(CA), wedge anchors are insufficient, they either need to be cast into the concrete or drilled and epoxied with something like simpsons set XP.

Comment

Hey yes they have feet that can be adjusted. My bad, I should've been more clear probably. The actual act of leveling them... is a 4ft level just placed against the side of the tank suffecient to level them. Wasn't sure if I needed a special tool? Thanks

Comment

That is what I used, leveled north to south and east to west.

Comment

Never anchored a fermentor to the floor in my life. But I live in the upper Midwest. I used the level in my iphone later checked it with a 8ft level dead nuts on
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

We use sections of SS all-thread long enough to go all the way to the bottom of the slab, anchored with Simpson Set22 epoxy mastic. Size of the all-thread will depend on tank and code. After bolting the feet down, we cut any remaining all thread off flush with the head of the bolt to prevent hoses, ect, from snagging.

It's a good idea to use the same epoxy mastic to seal the space under the pads so critters won't grow there.

For leveling, a hydraulic floor jack is very handy--and two can be used to do some fine positioning of the vessels. A door framing level on the sides of the vessel is about as good as you'll get.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice and let everyone know that we stood, set, and leveled our tanks this week. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X