Head space on 50HL BBT for 25HL batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head space on 50HL BBT for 25HL batch

Anyone using a larger BBT than needed for smaller batches?

I'm looking at getting a new BBT for our 25HL system, but thinking about getting a 50HL tank to allow for future expansion, double batching etc.

Whilst we would hope to use it for it's intended 50HL volume eventually we would largely use it for 20/25HL to start, so we would have a lot of head space spare. I can see some benefits and negatives to this, so wondering of others experiences.

Cheers

Pretty typical...

Done all the time. Not much of a negative except for a bit more chemicals for CIP and a bit more CO2 for packaging. Good way to save space and think to the future, though....
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Do you find that beers with a strong aroma, hop or otherwise, lose some of that when kept in a tank with a large head space? Ive suspected it but never been able to do a controlled test...

Comment

Originally posted by briangaylor View Post
        Do you find that beers with a strong aroma, hop or otherwise, lose some of that when kept in a tank with a large head space? Ive suspected it but never been able to do a controlled test...
        I haven't personally tested this, but I will let you know if I get chance to test it in the future.

Comment

Not seen this....

Although I don't make really strong aromatic beers, we don't see any aroma loss. Interesting idea though. Might be a concern for Massive-Double-Imperial-Super-IPAs that others are making..... Especially since I won't empty the BBT between beers and use the same CO2 for successive packaging runs. I might worry if I had a MDISIPA followed by a Belgian Wit....
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X