2" or 1" dropdowns... for glycol piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" or 1" dropdowns... for glycol piping

I am cooling 3 jacket 20bbl, fermenters.

Dropping down from a 3" supply pipe.

Would you all recommend dropping down 2" then teeing into 3 1" lines? Thats what george fischer is recommending. Just seems like there are a lot of real cheap fittings out there for 1" pex, curious what yall think?

I just got a quote from George Fischer, came out to 30k, I am trying to integrate some of their awesomom cool fit system for my header and do a more diy approach for the dropdowns, to save some cash.

Thoughts? Todd
    Todd

In my experience most FV tanks have enough surface area to chill beer down far faster than is needed, at least those made in the last decade. I have installed 4 60 bbls FVs in the last 4 years. The last three had 1.5" jacket inlets and outlets. I reduced them to 1" and used 1" PEX on the drop from the 2" header and have had no problems dropping temp fast. Keep in mind we run 28 deg glycol. Make sure your header loop is 1st in last out.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Go with 1"

There's really no need to go larger than the jacket boss. On your tanks that's likely 1". Plenty of cooling power for 20bbl tanks. Or even double that size. Besides being way overkill, 2" is going to be difficult to support properly and install solenoids on. At that size, wouldn't even use solenoids, but more expensive air actuated ball valves. Stick with 1". There's no reason for more......
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

phil, there is the dropdown from the trunk which i understand you are suggesting at 1 inch... There are three jackets for each fermenter....

I am still unclear, would i connect the 1 inch drop into a three port manifold to connect each jacket in parallel? Typically input and ports have different dimensions, ie.3/4 inch input manifolds typically have 1/2 inch ports pls advise.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

1" drop with tee at first jacket. Continue 1" to second jacket and tee. Continue to bottom jacket and elbow. Done.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

we use Cool Fit throughout and all drops to tanks are 32mm size which is roughly 1". We use these on up to 80bbl tanks with excellent cooling capabilities. It's actually closer to 1 1/4" but GF considers it to be their "one inch" size...

Comment

Working...
            X